water in lower unit?

Jet Star

Seaman
i finaly got around to working on a couple old johnsom motos that came with a bout i bought and today i drained the oil while it was on a stand the oil seemed prety clean when it looked to be finished draining i tilted the motor to get any more oil, more oil came out along with a bit of water id say a tablespoon full this was only one of the motors (the one i wanted to use on the boat) how would this be due to a bad gasket somewhere what should i be looking for? im totaly new to outboards

ab1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: water in lower unit?

First step I would take is drain completely and refill with new fluid. Replace the o rings on the drain and vent plug (top and bottom plugs) and run it for a little bit. Drain a bit back out and see if you still have water (look for a milky appearance in the fluid). I was told to always try this first as a lot of the time the water is due to someone never changing the o rings on the plugs when they changed fluid and a little bit of water can get in.

jonesg

Admiral

Water should come out first, before the oil.
Unless its emulsified in case it looks milky.
The water may have come from somewhere else, you did tilt it right?

Rick.

Captain

I agree. You don't have to drain lower unit to check for water. Put the leg vertical for a day and then open the drain cap ever so little. If water is present it should be the first thing out. Best of luck. Rick.

Jet Star

Seaman

i think running it and the new washers on the vent and drain is a good start. the water came out near the end and wasnt mixed with the oil. not sure if this would have any effect but i had the motor sitting upside down for a few weeks, simply so i could have them stored neatly out of the was till i got a stand rigged up

Jet Star

Seaman

yes i tilted it after most of the oild had drained the watter came out when tilted

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Re-fill lower unit, replace drain / fill screw seals, run the motor at the lake and drain again to see if there is water getting in there from somewhere else.