Smart Phones and Marine Charts

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a iphone and was thinking of using it as a backup GPS while on the boat, using it to learn GPS "how to" while i am on land.

Anyone out there have any experience with the apps for charts ? Which ones, pros or cons. Anybody have a story to tell ?

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Smart Phones and Marine Charts

No personal experience, but I have heard very good things about the Navionics app for the iPhone.

JZammetti

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have iNav and Navimatics and AyeTides for my iPhone, they are nice and robust, but for me I don't like holding my iPhone and consuming battery when on the water. Since I navigate mostly rivers I rely on my Garmin eTrex Venture and it serves me well.

Hope this helps

koko1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have the navionics app for the Iphone.. I think it is overpriced but it is a very nice app... Lots and lots of info about all the lakes I go to...Shows all depth contours, drop offs, where the river channels are, buoys, just about everything you need to know... I use to to map out where I plan on traveling for the day and use my hummingbird gps on the boat to get me there..Also has a few local ponds on there which is amazing.. It has no info about depth of anything but has names by them...

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

I rely on my Garmin eTrex Venture and it serves me well.

I also have the eTrex Venture and love it. Works perfectly for my purposes, and connects to my DSC VHF radio.

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

iNavX is an app that uses free charts from NOAA.

sr280da

Seaman Apprentice

I have an iPhone and use it for a driving gps as well as have the Navionics package. There is a significant point to consider. The iPhone 3G uses 'assisted' GPS. Meaning it relies on transmissions from the cell system as part of the location finding process. So take your iPhone too far from the cell network, and service could become erratic.

The other minor point is that the iPhone is not waterproof, water resistant, or even water repellent! Since AT&T does not offer insurance coverage for the iPhone, you drown it, you get to buy a replacement at full list price!

rzawora

Cadet

Anyone heard of any similar apps for Android phones. I have the Droid through Verizon which a) has a true GPS receiver and b) has insurance. The on land navigation apps are excellent, it would be great to find something for on the water. Hell even a tide chart app would be good, can't seem to find anything yet.

muskiemike12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the Navionics app for my iphone here in MN and it works great as a back up system to my Lowrance. That and you always have a lake map handy. Find that secret spot from anywhere! Only $9.99 for the inland waters, 5 different regions I think. All the HD 1' contours are included. I dont see how you can go wrong for inland waters.

82mustang

Seaman

I have the navionics for my Iphone, its great, like they said above, not water proof, etc. I compared it to my uncles system that he has on his laptop, not as many depth contours as the Iphone app. Still get me by tho.

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

Anyone heard of any similar apps for Android phones. I have the Droid through Verizon which a) has a true GPS receiver and b) has insurance. The on land navigation apps are excellent, it would be great to find something for on the water. Hell even a tide chart app would be good, can't seem to find anything yet.

I am a Blackberry user on the Verizon network, so I don't know what is available for your Droid. Android looks really enticing, but one of the things that bugs me is the lack of a desktop presence for their Android market. You would think that Google could develop a website that lists all available apps, but the only way to see the entire app store is on your personal hand held device. Since you have a Droid, you know better than I do what is available. I really want to stay with Verizon because I have a lot of friends and family on the network and because Verizon has nearly 100% coverage on Lake Powell, but the iPhone apps look really cool. Last week I sent Navionics an email to see if they have plans to develop an app for Android. I have pasted below the response I received.

Navionics Mobile is currently compatible with the Apple iPhone ? 3G, 3GS and the iPod touch 2nd generation. We hope to have additional compatibility in 2010. Please check back in a few months when I should have more information to provide to you. Apple has just released the Apple iPad Tablet and we now have the technical information that we need to explore future compatibility with this unit. We are exploring! You are welcome to ?Join our Mailing List? on our homepage http://www.navionics.com/JoinMailingList.asp. You will be notified of any product or compatibility updates. We do not send excessive amounts of emails. Another option is to fan us on facebook where we post news daily: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Navionics/111050969965#/pages/Navionics/111050969965. Best regards, Navionics Mobile Team

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Up here on the upper Mississippi we have a failsafe GPS system---and the best part is that is FREE---no iphone batt drawdown or anything---what we do is throw a stick in the water and if it floats to the left of the boat--thats downstream--and if it floats to the right of the boat--thats upstream--what the hell did we do before electronics ????????????

iSolunar

Recruit

iSolunar Hunting & Fishing Times is a new fishing iPhone app that provides location-specific solunar tables using the GPS feature of the iPhone.
isolunar-solunar-table-iphone-app_teys.png