7.5 hp Gamefisher

hoglahyou

Seaman Apprentice
So my friend and I are tinkering on his outboard motor that he got a garage sale. Neither of us have experience with outboard motors and we really need some help/advice on how to stuff. We need to make a new stand (the one he has is falling apart) and also need advice on what to do with the gas tank that came with it. The gas tank is a 3 gallon tank and it has a lot of gunk inside of it. Need advice on how to clean out (if applicable) and just how to get it up and running. It is a Gamefisher 7.5 horsepower model 217-585750. It is a 2 stroke/cycle engine and the fuel ratio is 50:1. Thanks a lot!:):D

hoglahyou

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 7.5 Gamefisher

Oh yeah, my friend and I got the motor running yesterday (April 10) and it runs fine until I shift it into gear. It runs for 5 seconds at full throttle and then stalls.:confused: Is this normal for a engine that just started in 7 (+-) years?

M

mrcrabs

hoglahyou

Seaman Apprentice

Ok thanks, but Im not really keen on spending $$$ on a carb kit because the previous owner said it ran for maybe 30 min at a time and then would die/stall. Then he would have to wait for maybe 10-1 hour to wait to start it again. But in my last post, why does it stall in gear after running at high speed for 5 seconds(+-)?

M

mrcrabs

I missed the part about the external tank bieng full of gunk, maybe borrow another tank? and give it a try...seems like your just running out of fuel when you rev it up, fuel can't keep up with the demand. my best guess is dirty nast carb, bad fuel pump. also could be something with the solid state ignition, its either fuel or ignition...hope its fuel...:) sears shows that model with a internal tank...have you tried using it?

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?modelNumber=217585750&productCategoryId=1305320&brandId=0247&brandDescription=CRAFTSMAN&modelName=OUTBOARD-MOTOR-7.5-H.P.&diagramPageId=00001&componentDescription=POWER%20HEAD%20ASSEMBLY&documentId=00001028&blt=06

hoglahyou

Seaman Apprentice

mrcrabs: so i am in the process of clean out the gas tank at the moment. Yes i have been using the tank on the motor itself. It works fine but the problem is that the screw to get the carb off of the housing I can't really get too!?! This is really weird but I will try when I get the chance to get it off of the housing. I will clean out the carb once this bad weather goes away. :( Thanks!

M

mrcrabs

I think you have to drop the bottom shroud or the front end to get at them...good luck and don't give up :)

hoglahyou

Seaman Apprentice

Can you possibly give me instructions on how to get the shroud off of the assembly?:confused:

Last edited:
M

mrcrabs

Can you possibly give me instructions on how to get the shroud off of the assembly?:confused:

that would be taking all the fun out of it for you, look at that sears parts break down, that should help.

hoglahyou

Seaman Apprentice

Ok then I will do my best to figure it out on my own. :rolleyes:

hoglahyou

Seaman Apprentice

I think you have to drop the bottom shroud or the front end to get at them...good luck and don't give up :)

Hey Mr.Crabs. So my friend and I are working on getting the carb off of the assembly but it just won't come off! I belive, from looking at it, that there is a nut there that I cannot get to, so therefore I cannot get the carb bowl off of the rest of the carb. The float goes down so that I cannot wiggle the bowl off of it, and my friend does not want to take off the shroud, but thanks for the advice. Can you give me some tips on this one? I am guessing that I should take off the nut and screw, but I think that the nut and bolt hold on the plate thing (so that lots of water does not come up). Need all the help I can get. Thx!;)

M

mrcrabs

Re: 7.5 hp Gamefisher

are you talking about the 2, 3/8 nuts that hold the carb to the engine? sear's had a lot of junk put in the way on the ted williams, gamefisher models, your just going to have to disassemble until you can get to it...any chance you could post a picture?

hoglahyou

Seaman Apprentice

are you talking about the 2, 3/8 nuts that hold the carb to the engine? sear's had a lot of junk put in the way on the ted williams, gamefisher models, your just going to have to disassemble until you can get to it...any chance you could post a picture?

Well there is a bolt/screw (on the bottom) that holds the bowl onto the carb which is where the fuel goes to be mixed w/ the air. I am taking off the bowl but cannot get it off. :mad: I think I can post a picture. Will try my best to take lots of pic's and upload them.

M

mrcrabs

with the float bowel bolt out you should be able to just pull it down and off, but I can't see what you exactly dealing with so I'm just guessing...its stuck?

and as a side note you almost always have to replace that bowel gasket or the carb will leak..

hoglahyou

Seaman Apprentice

Mr.crabs: there is a bolt with a nut that is restricting me from taking the carb bowl off. The bolt is i believe holding on the bottom plate (to keep water out from under-neath).

M

mrcrabs

ok, yeah the bottom shroud...I generally work on my little motor from the bottom up...I mean upside down, even on my eska which has only a metal shroud..collar type of thing around it, i have to break it apart at the column base to get that thing off to really get at the carb...your obviously going to have to do the same...

M

mrcrabs

CATransplant

Admiral

Hi,

I wish I knew the procedure for that job on that outboard. I don't though. On some of those Eska-based outboards, it's often easier to just pull the powerhead when you need to remove the carburetor. I know that sounds dumb, but it's not too difficult a job, really. But, I can't tell you exactly how to do it.

It might be worth going to ebay and scaring up a manual for your outboard. The manuals for the Eska 7.5 hp from the same vintage will have the info. I'm not sure if Sears still sells the manual. They do for some models.

Not much changed on those outboards for several years. Without going and looking at the parts blowup, I can't tell you if yours has F-N-R shifting. That changes the procedure.

Anyhow, unless someone has the same model that you have and has done the job, it's pretty unlikely that they'll be able to describe the process. That's the problem, really.

If you're planning to keep this outboard, then a manual will be the best buy you could possibly make. It'll save you a lot of trouble and keep you out of trouble at the same time.