Anything i should look for in this 40hp

starcraftstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am going to look at a 40hp vro johnson in a few. The year is unknown im guessing 1980s. The price is 800 is that high or low? and is there anyknown problems as much as ive read they seem like good little engines

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Anything i should look for in this 40hp

For a junk motor the price is high. For an excellent motor the price may be about right and for a really nice low hour motor the price may be a steal. We can't see it so we can't judge it. Like you, we don't even know what vintage it is.

D

DJ

Price is about average.

Two things to check.

1. Compression. Should be over 100 psi and even.

2. Lower unit lube. Clear?

starcraftstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Whats the oldest it can be? this guy knows nothing about it other than it was his dads and he didnt use it much thats the plus.

tootallofwa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Whats the oldest it can be? this guy knows nothing about it other than it was his dads and he didnt use it much thats the plus.

I think they started making them in 56'. Get the model number off the top of the transom clamp. serial numbers don't help to ID them.

Old motors stop being used when they don't work any more.

I'd say $100-200 unless it's newer than 78'. They are easy to work on, but if it has bad compression or the gear box is bad it just isn't worth it. Power head rings, seals and gaskets run about 2 bills and have to be ordered.

johnny 30

Cadet

AS for the age of the motor,omc introduced the vro motors in 1984,v4and v6 only.40hp and up, I believe was around 1986 and newer.The one you are looking at should have the no flow oil alarm on it.This is coming from memory, may not be totally accurate on the years but close.Hope this helps.A simple formula for age is:One of my outboard model number, is"cj30elcub"
c=canadian made
j=johnson
30=hp
e=electric start
l=long shaft
cu these two letters represent the year.Use the word "INTRODUCES",
there fore the year of my outboard is a 87
b=production run

johnny 30

Cadet

sorry on my last post,so not confusing INTRODUCES,