impeller help

jtaylor1101

Recruit
i am new to outboards and have been fighting the 1983 75 chrysler i bought. it had been sitting for a couple years and i got it running however i replaced the impeller and cant tell if its working properly. i havent run the engine longer than 20 seconds or so cause i dont want to overheat it. Its my understanding that at idle there should be water coming from the two exhaust holes on the back under the cowling. there isnt a drop coming out, am i not giving it enough time, is there possibly a blockage somewhere, if so where should i check. or does the water come out somewhere im not looking. BTW i am running it on muffs with the water on high. please help

also i just went out and removed the thermostat and it is completely dry inside, i also started the engine and nothing came out from either hole where the thermostat goes

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer
Re: impeller help

Hello,
I'm by measure a mechanic nor a professional but I would try and run a thin wire up the water tube to clear any blockage if there is one. 20 seconds should be enough time to get the water up there. Wait until some of the more seasoned mariners reply, maybe they have a better suggestion.

Tom

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

On muffs, it is very difficult to get the pump to prime. You must set the water pressure so that it is blowing out from around the muffs and hopefully it will prime the pump. If you have the time, it is better to take it to the water and dunk it. Remember: when the boat is sitting at the dock, the pump is a good six inches under water.

However: Also check that the impeller key did not slip out of position as you slid on the impeller..-- That is common and, of course, no water will pump.

jtaylor1101

Recruit

i think i got it i forged water in the top of the thermostat hole to prove there was no blockage and then, with the bottom off up the spout where the pump goes and got water flow. then put the muffs back on and pressed them to seal it and it flowed, weak but it did. im going to test it in the water and ill let you know, thanks for the response

jtaylor1101

Recruit

still no water flow. this is driving me crazy i have taken the lower unit down atleast ten times and gone over the steps of replacing the impeller and when i put the boat in the water there is never any water coming from the exhaust or the hole ontop of the block before the thermostat. also i have the thermostat removed can someone please tell me what to check next. please!!!!!!!!!!!!