Splitting speedo tube??

Puddy905

Seaman Apprentice
Here's a question for y'all....Can I put a tee in the plastic tube for a speedo, to run two guages? You may ask why. Well....my old motor had the speedo built right into it, the new (older) merc does not. My boat also has a hummingbird fish finder, with a built in speedo, and has it's own contraption on the back of the boat. My question is can I split this tube, and put in a tee to run both the fish finder and the analog guage in my dash?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Splitting speedo tube??

Never saw a fish finder that has a pitot style connection for speed. Those are usually electronic and operated from a paddle wheel on the stern. Doesn't mean they don't exist, but you better take another look. If it is actually a pitot style connection (meaning a hose), then there would be no problem using a Tee fitting. There is only pressure in the hose, no actual water flow.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Here's a question for y'all....Can I put a tee in the plastic tube for a speedo, to run two guages? You may ask why. Well....my old motor had the speedo built right into it, the new (older) merc does not. My boat also has a hummingbird fish finder, with a built in speedo, and has it's own contraption on the back of the boat. My question is can I split this tube, and put in a tee to run both the fish finder and the analog guage in my dash?

If that contraption is a paddle wheel, it's only good for low speed measurment like trolling. Do you have GPS on your finder? I have both but I use the GPS more than anything.

Puddy905

Seaman Apprentice

...I took a closer look and realized it is just the paddle wheel, so i guess it only works at low speeds?!? I thought it worked when I was going faster, but guess I'm wrong. I'll have to get the proper part for the speedo. No probs. Thanks guys.