Sweet Birthday present . . .

Expidia

Commander
Just bought my Daughter this Humminbird 587 CI as a surprise for her boat as her bday is tommorrow.

http://store.humminbird.com/products/271385/587ci_Combo

I bought the 797c SI Combo for myself in 2007 and I see the same model still has the same $999 price tag. Humminbird tries to hold their dealers to selling close the MSRP.

http://store.humminbird.com/products/310605/798c_SI_Combo

She does not need side imaging and her's has a little lower screen resolution, but it's a 4.5 inch screen. I Googled around for like an hour and finally came up with a site selling it for $418 (MSRP $469) no tax and free shipping.

I tried iboats first, but their low price guarantee does not apply to electronics.

These combo units have really come down in price. For that price who would get just a fish finder now? This one is color and has a built in GPS antenna. Mine uses an external one in case I ever get a hard top boat.

I like Humminbird because the bracket it sits on swivels, angles and 1 push of a button separates it without having to touch any wires. Great design.

I also had an extra Navionics Gold SD card (a $149 value) for the East coast which will give her finer lake contours than the base map it comes with. I picked that card up and then realized I wanted the Hot maps SD card, so I kept the Gold card for an upcoming second boat.

Some Daughter's like jewelry, mine has her own boat and a canoe, loves fishing and is going to flip when this unit arrives!

For the budget minded, Humminbird also makes the 300 series but with only a 3.5 screen for $20 more over the list one could move up to the 587 CI. The lower priced one could probably be found for $333. If you can spring for a decent color fishfinder you might re-think it and get the combo GPS style. It can get dark or foggy fast on a lake and everything on the shore looks the same (if you can still see it at all) the GPS gives you a bread crumb trail to follow safely back to the dock with fear of running into an island or a rock!

http://store.humminbird.com/products/307016/385ci_Combo

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Sweet Birthday present . . .

I'd love one of those. My birthday is in August. Do you think you could adopt me by then?:D

Expidia

Commander

Hahahaha . . . She's no spring chicken anymore. She's going to be 32 tomorrow. Has problems hooking up with guys long term since she usually catches bigger fish then they do and they can't handle it :D

She's picky. . . . The right guy has to love fishing, boating, camping, hiking, biking and . . . . Dogs! If you are interested, please send her a picture of your boat :)

Nice feeling when I get my Daughter something as strange as a fish finder for a girl yet and she really appreciates it.

At least it's such a unique gift that she can be sure her girl friends won't be getting a Humminbird for their birthdays :D :) :D

My Son chipped in $100 and my wife and I split the $318 balance. So it actually only cost me $159 out of pocket!

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

How dare you assume your daughter would have no use for side scan sonar, just what kind of father are you!

J/K, nice present! :D

NYBo

Admiral

Hahahaha . . . She's no spring chicken anymore. She's going to be 32 tomorrow. Has problems hooking up with guys long term since she usually catches bigger fish then they do and they can't handle it :D

She's picky. . . . The right guy has to love fishing, boating, camping, hiking, biking and . . . . Dogs! If you are interested, please send her a picture of your boat :)

Nice feeling when I get my Daughter something as strange as a fish finder for a girl yet and she really appreciates it.

At least it's such a unique gift that she can be sure her girl friends won't be getting a Humminbird for their birthdays :D :) :D

My Son chipped in $100 and my wife and I split the $318 balance. So it actually only cost me $159 out of pocket!
So, are you saying you couldn't use another son?:mad:

Of course, I'm no spring chicken myself. Today is my son's birthday, too. He's 25. Loves boating, fishing, camping, hiking... Hey, I just thought of something!

Expidia

Commander

So, are you saying you couldn't use another son?:mad:

Of course, I'm no spring chicken myself. Today is my son's birthday, too. He's 25. Loves boating, fishing, camping, hiking... Hey, I just thought of something!

She loves a man in a uniform like the ones the CG Auxiliary guys wear!

Expidia

Commander

Update: 587 CI came today.

Installed it and I was wondering if the resolution was going to be as good a my 797 side imaging unit being that this one is less than 1/2 the price and of lower resolution, but it's great. I noticed the site went up to $427 as the demand increases so do the prices I guess. There is also the 597 which has even higher resolution, but I'd suggest save the extra $100 you would spend for the 597 and buy a Hotmaps Premium SD card for the 587 unit.

I was also surprised how much heavier this unit is than my 797, but that's because this one is the CI series. "C" being color and "I" being for internal GPS antenna. This one actually locks onto the GPS signal faster than my external antenna unit.

I also could have mounted it in that blank space on the dash by cutting a hole but she wants a stereo in there at some point. The newer Humminbirds are designed to drop into the same hole left by a competitive brand that you may be replacing. I prefer she pushes the button, pops it off and locks it in a locker or her car's trunk after she done with the boat for the day. This is what I do. Don't want to leave $500 to 1000 sitting in the dash like outside of a motel for the night :eek:

DSC01559.jpg

DSC01556.jpg

The unit's base map would not show this detail, but I have a Navionics Gold Marine SD installed. It covers all the coast lines from the Northern U.S. East coast down thru Fl. Also covers many other water ways like the Hudson River and Lake Champlain.
But the Hotmaps Premium East Coast SD card is better for inland lake fishing. Shows bottom contours and structure.

This is a close up of somewhere on the northern part of St Lawrence River.
Nice detail. Shows the bouys nicely. I could also zoom in much closer to show bottom contours. My Navionics chip came with a bonus SD card that's called Fish and Chips. That one, when installed "really" shows up the bottom stuff.

DSC01557.jpg

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Expidia for posting the pics and sharing information. This unit looks like what I need, but I'm not waiting for my birthday to come around. :)