Replacing Mercruiser with Car motor

alien4fish

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Replacing Mercruiser with Car motor

after much research,and questions here on this board and fellow boaters,ive got the Merc 260 better known as the chevy 350 its the same sh*t:cool:
Jyst different freeze plugs( brass) not steel, even the cam is the same. Its all your other stuff thats different.........alt, starter, water pump,carb, etc.
Its all the stuff you already have on your old motor hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm:cool:and if all your parts are good well then you know what to do

Northernbob

Cadet

Sorry I am new to this forum and boats and I am in Canada, isn't 120 hp the same as 2.5L engine? I have a cracked block on my 120hp mercruiser and I'm looking for a block to replace it, so couldn't I use a 2.5L engine block and replace the cam, etc...as long as the flywheel housing matched the block.

That engine never made it to Canada except in boats. BTDT
A long while ago!!!
Bob

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

I called Mercruiser and talked with a tech. He said when hey get an engine from GM all they do is replace cam and freeze plugs. He said valves, heads and block assembly are all the same.

Do you really think Mercruiser disassembles "EACH" engine received from GM?
Or, does it make more sense that GM builds each engine to Mercruiser's specifications? As in, the brass core plugs are installed on the engine assembly line.

alex3012red

Seaman

I rebuilt my 3.0, found most of the interior part #'s are the same for some cars, just had to do a little research on part #'s. On the other hand I don't know about the block being the same, but there are alot of used ones out there.

45Auto

Commander

Do you really think Mercruiser disassembles "EACH" engine received from GM?

I personally doubt if he ever called a Mercruiser tech to begin with ....

I would imagine that Mercruiser calls up GM and orders a batch of whatever engine size they're looking for off this web page:

http://www.gm.com/experience/technology/gmpowertrain/engines/specialized/marine/marine_engines.jsp

From the GM marine engine website:

GM Powertrain has designed a number of important features into its marine engines, such as corrosion-resistant alloys, engine oil sealing system, marine-specific camshaft designs for some applications, and cooling systems that are compatible with both salt and fresh water environments.

If you click on the link just above the pictures of the engines that says "OEM Listing" it'll take you to a list of who GM supplies factory marine engines to.