Help choosing board

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've never boarded before and I don't have a clue what to look for. I'm 6'3" 260 lb. The laws of physics suggest that I would need as large a board as I can get, but I don't know if the shape has any part to play or if I need fins or not. A little advice please. Thanks.

sebber83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Help choosing board

in this day and age, unless you only ride at cable parks, you will need fins, as for size, check sites like buywake.com and evogear.com, they have sizing charts, find out what you need then shop away. also, for your first board, might be worth a trip to a local dealer so you can get fitted, as to not waste a season on the wrong board!

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

At your size, you will need a 144+cm long board. Look at the specs though, its not just about length, its about sirface area. My Murray 140 has more surface area than my Apex 142.

At your ability level, its not going to matter too much which board you get. Stick with a main brand like Hyperlite, Liquid Force, Ronix, CWB, or Byerly. These will last and won't hamper your progression. After you develop some basic skills, you can then ride some friends boards or do some dealer demos and see how different boards ride and see what your personal preference will be.

There is no right or wrong first board. Even a Hydro Slide from walmart would be good to get you out on the water, but you would need to be replacing it much faster once you progress as compared to the "Better" boards.

Yes, get a baord with Molded fins to learn on, and I suggest you try riding with out the bolt in center fins after you get to the point where you are carving heel side and toe side, its another preference, but you have to try it to see if you like it better.

JasonB

Lieutenant

Have a look at a CWB Faction 144. I'm 6' 230 and was told this is a great board for bigger guys. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I think a 144+ board is your best bet.

Gryphon

Seaman

I ride a Liquid Force Trip 146 as I was told this was a good beginner board I wouldnt progess too fast for. Its rated 260+.

Look for a 2009 model on closeout, can get it for less than $200 compared to $260 for 2010 model.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

Both of the above suggestions are spot on.I road a Faction 138 for a few sets and really liked it. Liquid Force makes nice stuff as well and you won't go wrong with their stuff.

Dave.Mishchenko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boards with side molded fins will generally have a detachable center fin. You can start with the center fin to give you stability and then remove it later as you progress.

I would also suggest trying some boots as well. Ideally you want to avoid a universal fit and get something that will be closer to your actual foot size.

MRCLEAN92626

Cadet

I agree with Gryphon. I'm also a bigger guy, 6'1 and 230lbs. I picked up a Liquid Force Trip 146 during the winter season as an '09 model at Sport Chalet for 50% off, I think it was $150 vs $300 if I remember correctly. It's been a great board so far, and most of my friends can't use it because it's got binding for sizes 13-15:) (I've got big feet). It's got molded in side fins, with removable center fins and came with some nice bindings.

My suggestion is to get a board that is sized for you, and not to be used as a universal for everyone on the boat. And try to find a leftover model from last year. No need to buy the newest and the best for a first board. Good luck!