Grinding into reverse

tendollar

Seaman
1998 J150. Grinds gears when going to reverse, fwd no issue. Needed new cables, new cables on still grinding, pulled lwr unit, checked shaft height 21 1/4", adjusted to 21 1/8" improved greatly but still a little grind. Tried adjusting cable trunion both ways little at a time and seem to have found a sweet spot but still a little grind, any opinions on where to go from here?

Tom

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Grinding into reverse

Put it in neutral, disconnect shifter cable and operate gear shifter by hand.
Does it shift better manually?
Are there any chunks of metal in the gear oil?

Do you have the factory setting?
Some of the X models have a different length.

tendollar

Seaman

jonesg, thanks for your help on both my issues. when i had lwr unit off i shifted gear case several times, was very distinct in and out of fwd/rev. I will disc cable at motor and try that. Factory specs for 20" long shaft 21 3/32 - 21 5/32. Gear lube just changed, very minimal metal on mags i would say normal.

150ELECD

pafisher1234

Seaman Apprentice

I know my dad had the same issue with his motor (40hp merc) the clutch dog was bad.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Not meaning to insult anybody, but are you shifting it correctly? "Correctly" is with a quick, decisive, snappy movement. Trying to be gentle with it and "easing" it into gear WILL result in grinding, and the grinding causes severe wear of the dog and gear, only getting worse if you continue to do it. Once you do get it in reverse, does it stay there? If so, count your blessings and shift correctly. If it will no longer snap into reverse and stay there, it is too late and you are looking at a new gear and dog.