91 evinrude 115 teardown and rebuild

holsterguy

Cadet
Hello all. Every time I am researching something for my boat I end up here reading posts. So there's obviously a ton of info here. Maybe ya'll can help me with my specific problem.

A bit of history:
A few weeks ago I actually got a good day of fishing since getting the boat out of the shop, until the ride home. The motor just died on the way back to the ramp and couldn't get it started again. So after a 2hr troll back to the ramp I found that the starter drive assembly was seized with the fly wheel. Got a new drive assembly and replaced it. Took it out and the boat was still very hard to start, and once started it had no power. I couldn't even get on plane.
After getting some info on another forum on where to start looking, I checked the compression and it was 50/30/50/50. Then was told to take the heads off and check the cylinders. The one that was 30psi was scored pretty good. So since I can't afford to have someone rebuild the whole powerhead for me, I am taking it on myself.

Right now I pretty much have everything off and I think I am ready to take the powerhead off. I just can't figure out where the mounting bolts are and how to get to them. Also, I guess I'm gonna need a hoist if I can't get any help. Do I need to put the flywheel back on and use the three holes in the top to lift it?

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to make sense of my questions.

Thanks for any help.

holsterguy

Cadet
Re: 91 evinrude 115 teardown and rebuild

I have the Seloc manual, but I can't find what I'm looking for in there.

I found an evinrude manual on ebay, but I'm not sure I want to pay $45 for basically something I already have.