Rescued Merc 3.0 Starting Issue

timmeraw

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently picked up a 1985 17' Celebrity Open Bow that has a Mercruiser 3.0 (140hp). It was a one owner boat and meticulously maintained and used sparingly. It was sold to his friend who is a car guy restoring studabakers etc and parked it in a field where it has sat for 2 years. Over that time the top and tarp disintegrated and the interior is pretty tired etc. He realized that he would never use it so sold it to me for $500. I brought it home and began the diagnosis.

The engine looked good and I was assured it by the original
it was winterized properly. I hooked up a charged battery...crossed my fingers and turned the key. Nothing but a clunk. Thinking it was either a seized engine or outdrive I decided to see if I could turn the motor over with the alternator(after removing plugs). Alternator just
spun inside belt and nothing else moved.
Next I thought I should pull the starter and see if I could move the engine by the flywheel.
I quickly realized that one of the starter main bolts was completely missing(not even laying in bilge). With the small bracket bolt on the back of the starter loosened and the one remaining bolt still in I was able to wiggle the started quite a bit back and forth,.

I removed the starter and was able to move rotate the motor easily with a large screwdriver on the flywheel much to my relief. So I found a suitable second bolt and reinstalled the starter and wires and battery cables etc.

Still not crank but different. It engages with the clunk but then has a kind of whining or slight clicking sound.

Now I was just thinking that it might be a battery issue. The only battery I have to use is my old car battery that I replaced in the winter when it was not doing well in the very cold weather but I have been using when farting around with a Merc 50 outboard. Could it be that?

Thoughts appreciated as I test the battery.

Thanks,
Tim

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Rescued Merc 3.0 Starting Issue

You MUST have a charged battery with clean tight connections (at both ends of both cables), and NO, wingnuts tightened by hand are not enough. The cables also have to be in good shape, I see them all the time that the cable can fall out of the terminal and people just push them back in or haning on with only a few strands.

timmeraw

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok....I found my multimeter and the battery tests at .42 which is the same as my fully charged newer battery in my truck. I guess next step is to pull the starter and have it checked.

timmeraw

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok Don tomorrow I will get some proper nuts and replace the wing nuts and ensure a good tight contact.
I sure wish that the leads had the standard car-type connections instead of all of those small diameter ones.
However something tells me that this might not be the issue...maybe I'll go out in the dark and check it again now.

Thanks.
Tim

Don S

Take some pliars with you and tight the wing nuts.

timmeraw

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea I already did that ... I am wondering if I could pull the starter again....hook up the wires again while out and see if it is actually extending the bendix and spinning?

timmeraw

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok I just checked it again. Battery terminal connections are all good and tight and clean...starter connections are tight and clean. It just clunks and when key still turned I hear a fast click click click(electric not mechanical sound).

Time to have the starter checked I guess. I should have probably banged on the starter a bit ...or maybe tried to turn the spindle a bit when I had it off. Maybe a flat spot or whatever?

Don S

Might try turning the engine by hand. If it's locked up, no starter in the world will turn it over.

fishinpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don he did turn it with big screwdriver on flywheel..

sounds like a hosed starter or still bad connections / battery maybe.

jim if you pull the starter and test it with jumper cables , make sure you get a real good connection there ,starter should clunk then spin !

solenoid kicks bendix then gear shoould come out and stay out while starter is spinning !

fish

timmeraw

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have pretty much determined that it is not battery or connection. I assume that the clunk in the bendix extending/engaging and the light clicking is the solenoid trying to get the starter turning.
Still thinking starter problem. The fact that it was completely missing one of the two bolts makes me wonder if there may have been a problem before ???

I'm gonna pull it again tomorrow.

Thanks guys.

Tim

timmeraw

Petty Officer 1st Class

Update....pulled the starter...took it to the Merc dealer and the mechanic tested it. As I suspected ...the solenoid is functioning properly and engaging the bendix but the starter motor is not turning it. He suggested I could pull the end plate off and see it it is stuck in the housing...I'll give it a try before I shell out the big bucks for a new one.

Anybody ever disassembled/cleaned/rebuilt a marine starter?
Tips/tricks/words of wisdom would be really appreciated.

Thanks.
Tim

Bondo

Staff member

Tips/tricks/words of wisdom would be really appreciated.

Ayuh,... Toss it,+ buy another 1...

Don S

Take it to your local Starter/Alternator repair shop. They can usually fix it up cheaper than buying a new one, unless it's really junk.

havasuboatman

Ensign

It has probably been submerged from high water in the bilge. Betcha' a nickle you find a bunch of rust around the brushes.

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

I tried to repair a starter on an old merc 1150......worked for about 2 seconds.
TRY EBAY! Look for a starter on there if the repair shop says yours is junk. I paid $50 for a new starter and it worked well. just make sure is doesn't look beat to hell in the pictures. From my experience if the starter looks like its in good shape, it is in good shape.