Rebuilding 4.3l

Bergerson

Seaman Apprentice
Ok guys, I need some advice on cam selection for this motor, I have a 90' 19' chaparral I/O with a 4.3l in it, last summer i did a vortec head swap,4bbl carb and elberbrock intake that woke this little motor up tremendiously, well this winter the block cracked from the -15* weather.. Yes i winterized it per instructions from here and have been doing it the same way for 10 years without ever having any problems..

Anyways I picked up a 93 vortec engine out of a 4wd Blazer as it was supossed to have the hot cam and larger valves in it, well as it turns out after i tore it down for inspection i am going to have it rebuilt, bored .30 over and all new internials, I dont want to do this again any time soon. so I would like some advice on the cam, should i go with the factory spec cam for that year blazer which is *
'92-'95, Vin W, w/ balance shaft
- Lift (I/E) - .432/.440
- Dur @ .050 (I/E) - .208/.208
or should i go with something a little hotter? without the risk of inversion?

I am after performance as i use this boat to pull skiers,wakeboarders, and tubers all summer long, sometimes with 6-8 adults on board and need all i can get without doing a v-8 swap. thanks in advance for all the help!

Bryan

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rebuilding 4.3l

well this winter the block cracked from the -15* weather

They don't crack from -15* weather.....Blocks only crack if there's water in there and it freezes......I am not sure that anyone here suggests leaving any water in the block.:rolleyes: Sorry to hear that....

8 adults in a 19ft boat? :eek: AND pulling skiers? :eek::eek:

Your best bet for a cam is to speak to COMP, ISKY or other cam builder for the best choice cam.

If it were me and I wanted to pull skiers with 8 people in the boat..... I would put a 350 V-8 in it.....that's loaded up pretty good.....

Cheers,

Rick

Bergerson

Seaman Apprentice

I agree with everything you said, yes, obviously there was some water left in the block somewhere.. yes sometimes i will have 7 or 8 people on board, usually its 4-5 people. yes a v-8 would be nice but i will buy another boat with a v-8 in it before i spend 5-6k on a new outdrive and a motor swap. I was contimplating the v-8 swap but it is just not doable right now. thanks for the advice. :)

They don't crack from -15* weather.....Blocks only crack if there's water in there and it freezes......I am not sure that anyone here suggests leaving any water in the block.:rolleyes: Sorry to hear that....

8 adults in a 19ft boat? :eek: AND pulling skiers? :eek::eek:

Your best bet for a cam is to speak to COMP, ISKY or other cam builder for the best choice cam.

If it were me and I wanted to pull skiers with 8 people in the boat..... I would put a 350 V-8 in it.....that's loaded up pretty good.....

Cheers,

Rick

Bergerson

Seaman Apprentice

understood but i need to know what cam to go with, any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks. I am going to have this motor rebuilt, so a new roller cam is going to be put in. I want to make sure its the right one.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I am going to have this motor rebuilt, so a new roller cam is going to be put in. I want to make sure its the right one

OEM comes to mind, anything after that is under the "Try this, it worked for me" category.

fossill

Chief Petty Officer

I'd use an OEM marine cam for that engine