need some help

hooked422

Cadet
I have a 1973 evinrude 6 hp i can get it to run but not great a it wil only start at just about wot and it seems to smoke alot and there is a lot of oil in the baralle of water im running it in. it wont idle and i dont see a idle screw just a lean/rich nob connected to the carb.im running 50:1. I have taken the plugs out and they are covered in oil. what is the correct compression? I there supposed to be a idle screw? and last is the a online scematic of my engine? thanks john

glassmaster68

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: need some help

assuming you have good fire,,,,,50;1,,is right,,,oil covered plugs sounds like too rich,,,,try running the low speed valve in until it seats then about 1 turn out and see how it runs,,,,still running bad?,,get a carb kit,,make sure all of the low speed fuel and air inlets are clean,,,they have carb kits here on iboats reasonably priced,

hooked422

Cadet

there is nothing on the carb to adjust except for a rich/ lean nob witch is connected to a plastic nob on the front of the engine ond has a stop at 360 degrees. am I missing parts?

kbait

Commander

Take the knob off the low speed adjusting needle and turn the needle to one turn out from gently seated and try it, w/clean plugs. If that doesn't help, verify proper spark and compression. If they're good, it's a fuel delivery problem. Check all fuel line connections for leaks from tank to carb. If they're good, then dismantle and clean carb

glassmaster68

Petty Officer 1st Class

alot of oil in your barrel is normal,running rich or not,,,,all of the fuel isnt burned up when its running and the excess goes out your exhaust,,,,yeah,,forgot to tell you to take the knob off your low speed needle valve first before you run it in to seat,,its the one you said says ,,rich/lean,,,,thanx kbait

hooked422

Cadet

ok i will try that. do you know what correct compression should be?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

70 - 80 psi per hole is good. If you can get more, that's all the better. They should be within 10% of each other too.:cool:

hooked422

Cadet

I bought the outboard for 75 dollars I dont want to spend a lot to fix this

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Sorry to tell you but it is what it is, $75 is a steal, cleaning the carb is virtually free, a little carb cleaner and time to take it apart and clean it. If it needs a carb kit due to wear , $30. So you have $105 into a motor if all is well that is worth $350 used to someone looking to buy one.

hooked422

Cadet

sounds like I made a good deal, i will work on it tomrrow. when it was running the carb semmed to have a little leak so i will have to buy a carb kit but the gas leaking had a milky white color. is this a sign of water mixing with gas?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Sounds like condensation, clean up the tank too as well as the carb and yes you got a good deal, I see people selling them for 350+ in my area so $75 is nothing to ignore as far as a deal, especially if it needs nothing else.