Stuck in drive / forward

svmarcello

Cadet
I took the boat out today for the first time ever and as I was tring to back it off the trailor I put it in reverse and gave it gas and it went forward!! Tried several times and had no luck. I guess it is stuck in gear, and I would love to know how to fix it??? I am not very experiened with outboards but I have some general mechanical skills. Any help would be appriciated. It is a 1988 85hp force outboard and it is stuck in drive. PLease help!! Thanks

huskerdaninva

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Stuck in drive / forward

Seems like you had a lousy day on the water my friend. First thing that comes to my mind, and please note that I am NO expert, is the control cables. You may want to ensure that the cables are in fact connected properly to the motor and they are in fact moving the shift linkage correctly. Perhaps you just need to confirm that your control cables are working and adjust accordingly if not. Also need to check that your shift linkage is connected properly from the powerhead to the lower unit. Once this has been done you can move onto potential mechanical problems/failures. Bottom line, get your hands on a repair manual for your motor. Maybe your local library can help in the interim. Hope this makes sense! Good luck...
Dan

svmarcello

Cadet

Can you explain what the control cables should look like inside the engine? Is the top one the throttle or the shifter cable? Only the top cable was moving when I was moving the shifter from forward to neutral to reverse?? How do I adjust it. I also can barly move the prop since it is in gear??

wickware

Lieutenant

What Year, Motor, HP and Control do you have? I have pics of a 1970, Chrysler, 35 HP linkage in forward, neutral and reverse positions (at the engine and just below related to a Chrysler Control).

JOW

wickware

Lieutenant

Did you see this info in your other post below this one?

I went back and noticed you had the motor?s ID info I missed. I doubt our controls are the same but feel there could be some common relations. Such as:

1. In all shift positions you should see some linkage movement at the motor. In my case, inside and just below the motor.

2. With my manual system, the positioning of one control can restrict the other (idle position to switch gears).

3. Inside the motor?s cover (on the motor) I can see the conflicts that restrict switching gears due to control?s selection or positions.

4. With my cover below the motor removed I can see my shift rod that goes into my L/U move to change gears.

5. With the controls in the right positions to not have any restrictions, I would think you could manually switch gears (possibly a little help will be needed at the control and shift rod at lower unit).

6. I have pics of my 70, 35HP Chrysler system if you think they will help you.

Good Luck!
JOW

wickware

Lieutenant

Please post pics that will show your problem showing good close Pics in reverse and forward. Hopefully this will relate to someone with your model vs my old model. Such as:

1. The controls position in reverse and forward. in reverse and forward.
2. The linkages on the side of your motor in reverse and forward.
3. The lower shift rod linkage position on motor and outside going down if possible in reverse and forward.
4. I?ll attach my 4 dirty pics demonstrating the positions.

JOW

Attachments

• Boat's 35 HP Control's in Reverse Position.JPG
    Boat's 35 HP Control's in Reverse Position.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat's 35 HP Linkage in Reverse Position.JPG
    Boat's 35 HP Linkage in Reverse Position.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat's 35 HP Linkage in Reverse Position 2.JPG
    Boat's 35 HP Linkage in Reverse Position 2.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat's35 HP Linkage in Reverse Position 3 pointers to adjustments.JPG
    Boat's35 HP Linkage in Reverse Position 3 pointers to adjustments.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 0

Pan84

Seaman

I thinks link on the lower unit not connect it, just fall down and all time on the gear

moparman

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I understand you correctly, you just got the boat and had it out for the first time,correct? If so, is it possible the previous owner may have tried to put a water pump on or tried to change the lower end oil and loosened the pivot screw and let the pivot fall down? If you have never tried it before and the cables are hooked up and correct I believe I would check this out. Also if you don't have a manual for your motor ,GET ONE, it's worth it's weight in gold when trying to trouble shoot things like this.Keep us posted on what you find