Can't find replacement springs can i use shackles?

Ironpig

Seaman
Can't find springs that fit exactly. This is for an older calkins trailer, the springs are 26 and 3/4 eye to eye. The only ones i can find are 26 1/4. or is there a way to make them fit? Never used shackles before so I am not that familiar with them, good choice or bad?

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can't find replacement springs can i use shackles?

You need a shackle system on a leaf spring axle to handle the length change as the spring is compressed, on my Caulkins trailer the shackles bolt around the trailer frame tube and are fully adjustable to change the axle location front to rear. This is common to boat trailers as they are designed to be adjusted to fit a range of boat lengths and weight distribution and to correct the tongue weight when fully loaded.

Length of the shackle is related to the length of the spring. For the difference in length of your new spring I would not change the factory length shackle. In general your shackle should lie at 45 degrees to the frame fully loaded and be long enough to accomodate the spring length change as the spring flattens, it should be about 5-10 degrees from vertical unloaded but this is a variable depending on how you want the suspension to perform.

Ironpig

Seaman

The original springs are open hook at one end. I can't find these kind anywhere around here without incurring makor cost (custom made).

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

The link I posted above has a link for spring tech, and that link demonstrates 4 different kinds of eye and slipper springs.;)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If your springs have eyes at both ends you are already using shackles. If not, you don't need them.

Go to www.championtrailers.com and compare yours to the catalog.

Ironpig

Seaman

So I found direct replacements for Calkins springs at Standens Springs here in Calgary for 35 bucks each. Shackles would have required all new hangers etc. FYI