Motor dies when put in gear

ziton

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 92 nissan 2 stroke 30hp.
It has a new carb & plugs.
It runs very strong and is easy to crank.
When I put it in gear the motor quits even after running a half hour.
If I set the choke tween 1/2 and 2/3rds it will sometimes go but its tricky.
I adjusted the carb,idle rpms and timing didnt help.
I've never had motor do that.
Gas to oil is 50-1. What causes that?

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Motor dies when put in gear

At this age, the compression may be down a bit, crank seals may be a bit leaky, or the motor may be carboned up a bit. You can de-carbon it (see the FAQ's, can't hurt), and verify compression. Fixes a lot of these issues.

Leaky crankshaft seals can cause idling problems, and can make it tricky to get into gear at idle without stalling, so if the carb is definitely in good shape, compression is up, and you still have the stalling issue after a thorough de-carbon, that's an item to check.

ziton

Seaman Apprentice

I have a new cylinder leakage tester. Can I use to test compression ?
How much leakage is acceptable?
where is a good place to by rings and pistons?
what should the compression be?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

I have a new cylinder leakage tester. Can I use to test compression ?
How much leakage is acceptable?
where is a good place to by rings and pistons?
what should the compression be?

Compression should be 99.6 psi, 686 Kpa, 7.0 Kg/Cm2, must not exceed 15 psi between cylinders. Run engine until reaches normal operating temperature, stop engine, unplug, disable ignition system, insert compression tool. Place throttle in fully open position and crank engine with at least 4 compression strokes for accurate readings. Check gas pump diaphragms & valves for wear.

Happy Boating

ziton

Seaman Apprentice

Can I replace the crank seals without tearing the motor down?

At this age, the compression may be down a bit, crank seals may be a bit leaky, or the motor may be carboned up a bit. You can de-carbon it (see the FAQ's, can't hurt), and verify compression. Fixes a lot of these issues.

Leaky crankshaft seals can cause idling problems, and can make it tricky to get into gear at idle without stalling, so if the carb is definitely in good shape, compression is up, and you still have the stalling issue after a thorough de-carbon, that's an item to check.

pvanv

Admiral

See your service manual for the procedure. But confirm whether seals are needed by testing the crankcase leakage first.

ziton

Seaman Apprentice

How do I test crankcase leakage?

See your service manual for the procedure. But confirm whether seals are needed by testing the crankcase leakage first.