increasing the Electrical output of am Outboard?

I have a 1977 Johnson 175 Outboard on my 1977 Galstron SeaRider that I am starting to remodel once I get back from Afghanistan.

I was wondering if it is possible to put a higher capacity stator on the engine to increase it ast the 9 amp that it is putting out now?

Want to add a small stereo sysytem (head, 4 speakers) to the boat once I have redone the floors, paint, interior.

Looking at upgrading it to a dual battery setup as well...what would need to be done?

Is it possible to do this? Would I need a new flywheel or what would be needed if it was possible?

Thanks for the help...will post once I get started on the boat here in May.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: increasing the Electrical output of am Outboard?

I think you will find it already has a 12 amp stator.

Perhaps you could devise a method of fitting a small conventional alternator and driving it with a belt from a pulley bolted to the flywheel.

I know my engine space is very limited in the shroud.

It might be putting out 12 amp....have not seen the boat for 9 months and that might have been what the guy who fixed it said.

Wondering if it is possible to upgrade it though to be able to run dual battery with a radio so I dont kill the batteries on a day trip?

Any thoughts???

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Most conventional marine/automotive stereos do not take a lot of wattage to run. You should look on the stereo and see how much it takes. A battery has a lot of stored power, and you will likely be OK. Dual batteries will certainely handle a stereo.

SparkieBoat

Captain

I totally concur with Chris, a battery upgrade would be the way to go. You can get a battery switch for about $35 and get 2 good marine batteries. (usually the bigger the better, higher amps) You could wire it so your electronics run off of one battery and engine off of the other. You can also install an onboard charger for about $200.
The CDI stator for that motor is listed as 9 amp, I see no other options for that year model.
That is an old motor and I would not spend much money on it, save up and get a 90s model 60 degree looper optical ignition or and e-tec, these have 35 amp stators. and get better fuel mileage. I assume you are in the military, if so, thanks for your service, and God Bless America.

that is good input! thanks.

unfortunately I wont have alot of money left for an engine after reading all the remodel posts here....sounds like I am going to have to increase my budget for the boat remodel! LOL

So I am stuck with the 9 amps then...I can deal with that if I must. So i guess there is more to it then just throwing a new stator in it while I have it off the boat??

the engine just had a complete go through and runs like new if it makes any diffference...oh well...guess I will start saving for the next one now then!

I am in the Army....get to come home after my year here May 2!! Cant wait to get into the boat and truck!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Does your motor have power trim & tilt? If so, it probably already has a larger alternator. But I can't be sure of that statement without a model number etc.

Re: increasing the Electrical output of an Outboard?

Re: increasing the Electrical output of an Outboard?

Yes it has power tilit/trim.

When i re-did the stator last time the shop gave me the same that was on it already. It is putting out around 9 amps if my memory is correct. it is brand new so I think that is what was originally on it.

Is there a reason I cant put a 35 amp one from a later year on it?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

I do not know if a 35 amp one will fit or not

Even if it does you will run into trouble with the rectifier. Your engine I think you will find has a round non regulated rectifier. That may not withstand 35 amps. Even if it does with no regulator you will soon overcharge the battery.

You will, therefore, also need the water cooled rectifier/regulator which may or may not fit your engine.

What ever electrical equipment do you have that will consume so much power that the 12 amp stator will be inadequate?

SparkieBoat

Captain

the twin battery option should be less costly than a new stator anyway and easier.

The equipment that will be drawing constant power is the Fishfinder, the Stereo, and lights at night. The dual battery with a built in inboard charger seem to be the consensus answers.

just trying to find the best alternatives so the stereo and fishie finder dont run the battery dry and I have to paddle my way back to my truck! LOL

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

OMC did put out 35 amp alternators which should retrofit on your engine. There were two styles, the early one for engines with two packs, the later style for the engines with a single pack with quickstart. You could theoretically install the early 35 amp system. It will require a new stator, flywheel, rectifier/regulator and may require a new engine harness. You are talking some expensive parts and I believe the flywheel is discontinued, so you may want to just stay with what you have. You have been given some solid advice and should be able to make what you have work fine.

Thanks for the information. I think I am going to go the dual battery setup as explained above. I guess I will see how it works after I get the boat all put together again.

Remodel thread to begin later! :)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The 35 amp system will fit on, no problem. Done that conversion several times. What I've done in the past was to find a blown up powerhead (or motor) and buy it cheap. Then just use the components you need.

SparkieBoat

Captain

I have run the electronics mentioned all day and night on a battery with no problem. you can set your battery switch to "all" when running the motor and it will recharge both batteries. then turn it off while sitting still and have your wiring set to run lights ect. off of the battery not used for cranking the motor. And when you get home plug in the onboard charger. I use this set up and never have battery problems unless I have a bad battery. Spend a little extra and get the bigger higher amp type batteries, the gel batteries will not cause corrosion and have a slower discharge rate, and would be great for your electronics battery, I still prefer the old wet style for my cranking battery though, you can get higher CCA for about half $$. With the V-6 motors you really want a very high CCA battery, or you could use both batteries together and get plenty of CCA.

As it seems like the most economical approach to go with the dual batteries, that is the one to go with.

DHADLEY- Just out of questions sake and for all the alternatives, how much did these conversions up to 35 Amp run? Were they hard to do? if it is not too expensive that might be the way to go...always like to know all my options :)