40hp super sea horse not starting

scup27

Cadet
Hey i picked up an old 40hp super sea horse on a little 14 foot runabout. Not sure of the year but the boat is a 75. I changed the fuel and the plugs and looked in the carb. the carb looks clean and the jets are fine, but the engine wont sustain running. tried using carb start and if just back fires. Im thinking that the points are dirty but havent had a chance to get down to them. anyone experience the same thing?

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 40hp super sea horse not starting

start with the basics.fuel ,compression ,spark!with out compression that is decent you will be wasting your time.just for an example lets say you check and you have 100 psi on one cylinder and 40 on the other ,you got serious problems.exactly how old is the motor?if its real old you might want to pull the flywheel and look at the coils,they normally will be toast if there original.there should be a tag on the transom bracket that tells you the model number,post it .pictures also help .

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

read the TOP SECRET FILE.

scup27

Cadet

the model is RD-27M. i have good compression and even compression. I have a spark in the upper cylinder and no spark in the lower. Im gonna try what tash said and pull the flywheel to see the stator and coils. would there be 2 coils since its a 2 cylinder or does it jsut use 2 differnt contact points?

im workin on getting pictures

scup27

Cadet

tash, on my flywheel it is a bolt that goes down through the center that holds the flywheel on, not a shank comin up through with a nut. will a harmonic balance puller still work in this situation?

scup27

Cadet

according to the chart its a 65 johnson

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

tash, on my flywheel it is a bolt that goes down through the center that holds the flywheel on, not a shank comin up through with a nut. will a harmonic balance puller still work in this situation?

RD-27 is a 1965.
That's very odd that there is a bolt there. The flywheel is on the tapered, threaded end of the crankshaft. A bolt couldn't pull the flywheel down on the taper. You're not looking at the top of the recoil starter ??:confused:
Anyway, some pictures would be nice and would clear things up.

scup27

Cadet

ok so it looks like the thread on the end of the taper broke and the previous owner just drilled and tapped a hole so the bolt holds on the flywheel down on the taper.

so the points and coils look very new, almost too new for the year of the engine. the points move freely and are clean as a whistle. How do i test the condensors and stuff? Can i megger the coils?

Attachments

• 0402101322.jpg
    0402101322.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 0

scup27

Cadet

so ive been tracing the wires and you have 4 that come out of the stator/ points assembly. 2 are the leads for the spark plugs and then a 3rd goes to the kill switch and then is grounded to the block. the 4th was wrapped with electrical tap when i got it and just layed inside the housing. should this 4th lead be grounded to the block?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

so ive been tracing the wires and you have 4 that come out of the stator/ points assembly. 2 are the leads for the spark plugs and then a 3rd goes to the kill switch and then is grounded to the block. the 4th was wrapped with electrical tap when i got it and just layed inside the housing. should this 4th lead be grounded to the block?

The two black wires, when joined together or grounded kill the motor. One wire runs to each set of points, so don't ground the extra wire. Usually the way they are wired is one wire goes to the vacuum cut-out switch on the side of the engine and then continues to the kill switch, with the other going directly to the kill switch. The switch connects the two wires together when pressed.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

ok so it looks like the thread on the end of the taper broke and the previous owner just drilled and tapped a hole so the bolt holds on the flywheel down on the taper.

so the points and coils look very new, almost too new for the year of the engine. the points move freely and are clean as a whistle. How do i test the condensors and stuff? Can i megger the coils?

The points and coils look new. I'd just make sure to clean the points and check the gap (0.020")

scup27

Cadet

well how it was when i got it was one wire went to the cut out switch and then connected to the block on the right side. the other wire was jsut wrapped with electrical tape and hung.
would this casue one cylinder to fire and the other to not?

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

been looking at the top coil in your picture.on the bottom left of the top coil what is that?it looks like a break in the outer coil material.am i wrong?if its broken and you can see the innards id bet the thing is pooched.bottom of the top coil on the left edge.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

well how it was when i got it was one wire went to the cut out switch and then connected to the block on the right side. the other wire was jsut wrapped with electrical tape and hung.
would this casue one cylinder to fire and the other to not?

Yes, if the wire is actually grounded to the block that cylinder will not fire. Try disconnecting the wire and make sure neither one is grounded, then see if you get spark.

scup27

Cadet

i didnt notice that crack until now, ill have to look further into it.

I tried taking both grounds off thinkin that the kill switch was bad and the bottom still didnt spark.

If the coil is bad is that something that i can order somewhere?