The new guy - buying a boat ?'s

Neil310

Recruit
Have decided to purchase a boat and would appreciate any suggestions and advise. I live in Denver, CO and have access to a couple public lakes, however will probably do most boating at Lake McConaughy, NE and maybe Glendo, WY (other suggestions close by welcomed). The family will learn skiing, wakeboarding (have a 6 and 3 year old boys), cruising is secondary and no fishing. Probably buying used with a budget of <=$20K. Thanks.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: The new guy - buying a boat ?'s

With that budget you should be able to find something NICE. I think we need more info on what size and type of boat you're looking for.

Neil310

Recruit

would like to limit my boat selection to ski touruament boats, specifically Ski Nautique and Mastercraft.

Philster

Captain

You will need a certified marine surveyor to insure it and/or finance it.

$15 - $20 per foot. The report will have to go to the bank and insurance company, and it will list repairs and upgrades that are needed.

It also let's you sleep at night = priceless.

http://www.boatus.com/insurance/survey.asp

QC

Supreme Mariner

How big are these lakes? Why tournament boats? I love specific tools for specific tasks, and would never talk someone out of a specialized boat if that's truly what they want and need.

On small lakes or rivers, tournament boats are awesome for the committed skier/waker etc. However they ride like carp, and will make for unhappy passengers if they aren't motivated to tolerate the ride by the excellent wake and hole shot. If that's what you are signing up for, perfect!! If not, a family bowrider makes a great day platform and can be a decent watersports boat too.

What altitude? On the tournament boats you will not find much that won't have great power for yanking out skiers. They won't make much top speed, and will probably be OK at higher elevations too. Unless you know a Carburetor guru I would only consider EFI engines. Especially if altitude will ever vary.

Neil310

Recruit

The lakes I would play on would be Lake McConaughy in Nebraska - elevation is about 3200 and Glendo WY - not sure the elevation but maybe the same as Lake McConaughy.

I grew up with a non-tournament boat and it was ok but my family and I are more into the ski/wake activities (or will be) than causal boating. I realize they ride like crap on open water but a sacirfice I'm ok with.

Do most tournament boats have engines with EFI?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yes, many, if not most of the current models offer EFI. With your budget you should be fine. Nothing wrong with a Carbed engine they just require more attention and they don't adjust for altitude changes.

Neil310

Recruit

I've been hearing a direct drive boat may ride rougher than a V drive boat, is that true?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Generally speaking, yes. Most V-drives are setup for wakeboarding more than skiing. A deeper "V" as opposed to next to no "V". V-drives will be more family friendly too with the open space in the middle and the sun lounge at the stern.

Neil310

Recruit

Any comments on Mastercraft vs. Ski Nautique boats?

QC

Supreme Mariner

I was hoping someone else would chime in as I have no direct experience with either. Both are good names and both have been around a long time. If you've never bought a used boat before I am going to suggest that you open up your selection process a little. Finding exactly what you want, with the power you want, configured the way you want and then add in a specific brand requirement will make hunting even more difficult. Also, brand is not as important with boats than previous owner care and maintenance. All boats are basically the same thing. Power packages from only a few sources. Gauges and controls from only a few sources, hardware from only a few sources and then it is down to build quality. mainly the fiberglass part. Mastercraft and Ski Nautique both do the latter very well, so I don't think I'd favor either one.

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have owned both with direct drive carbed engines. I owned a 80 Master Craft, 84 Master Craft and a 90 Master Craft Also a 1985 Nautique 2001. I mainly go to a really large lake in NE GA, lake Hartwell. AFter an afternoon on the water we would be beat to death and finally gave up the tournament level boat for a I/O deep V. Wife is much more happy and the Wake is still OK for Recreational Skiing and all My son wants to do is Wake Board anyway.