point gap question

mphy98

Lieutenant
what is the correct point gap for a 1979 merc 120hp. It is the chev iron duke motor? I know it is probably here somewhere, but where to find? :confused:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: point gap question

It's in the OEM service manual. The links for them are in the Adults only sticky.
Gap is one thing, dwell is the other. You use the point gap to get it running so you can check the dwell angle. Which is a lot more accurate than point gap.
After getting the dwell set, you will need to reset the timing.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

all the specs should be in manual #1.

Like Don says, point gap gets it close enough to run. But you need a dwell meter to adjust the dwell angle, Dwell is really what your after, not gap. When I do points I just eyeball the gap and then put the meter on it.

mphy98

Lieutenant

Guys I love the quick response, but I have tried to download those manuals and for some reason I cannot get it done at home or work!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Not sure when you last tried the downloads, but I put another one up a couple of weeks ago. it's only 200MB, instead of 1.5GB. Have you tried it. I know it works.

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

Okay, until you get the manual downloaded:

Point gap is .022 and the dwell is 28-34 degrees. Timing is 8 degrees BTDC.

zbnutcase

Commander

For the 10th million time, the "iron duke" was a PONTIAC engine totally UNRELATED to the 2.5 (153) or 3.0 (181) CHEVROLET engines as used in boats!!!!!!!!!!!!! 'nutcase