Need steering help

sdsferraro

Recruit
I bought a used pontoon yesterday. The previous owner said that when I seen the pontoon at the dealer/repair shop, it was there to have the steering cable replaced. I have seen the steering work. I turned the wheel full stop to port looking for serial number on the motor. Turned that motor opposite and it stopped midway and would not move any more. I can push the motor and it will move and you can here the gears moving. The repair shop won't help because they know I just bought it and said it only applies to original owner. Does it sound like the cable is broke? Is there other things I can check? This is my first boat and didn't want to just randomly try things and make it worse. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Danny

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: Need steering help

Will the previous owner help you in getting it repaired by the guy who did the service

scorpionfs

Seaman

sounds like to me the repair shop did not do a very good job repairing the steering. and it was still on there property ?

cribber

Lieutenant

Did you get the original repair receipt? If the cable was replaced the cable should be under warranty from the manufacturer. Also need to ask did the bill of sale state as is and did you take it out for a trial run?

I'd also work on the repair shop too since their repair lasted only days. Not a very reputable repair shop that can't replace a steering cable and get it to last more than a couple of days. Good luck!!!

sdsferraro

Recruit

Well... stupid problem with an easy fix. I pushed the motor side to side and listened for the cable to move. Got all the way back to the steering console. I pulled the access panel looked up and the spring was coming unhooked from the wheel. Slid cable back in and life is better. It is a teleflex steering and there is a hole that looks like a set screw holds the cable case in place, but it doesn't look like it is threaded> Is it a set screw or something else that holds it in? Thanks for everyones help!!!:D

Danny

CalicoJack

Cadet

Well... stupid problem with an easy fix. I pushed the motor side to side and listened for the cable to move. Got all the way back to the steering console. I pulled the access panel looked up and the spring was coming unhooked from the wheel. Slid cable back in and life is better. It is a teleflex steering and there is a hole that looks like a set screw holds the cable case in place, but it doesn't look like it is threaded> Is it a set screw or something else that holds it in? Thanks for everyones help!!!:D

Danny

No it's a quick release pin that holds the cable to the helm. The repair shop obviously forgot to put it in. If the shop won't help you get a new one call Teleflex. They have the best customer service in the industry.