Motor Bogs at throttle advance

hobiecat

Seaman Apprentice
I'm hoping that one of you guys might be able to help me out...

I've got an '87 60hp Evinrude (E60ELCUC). When I got it the VRO had been disconnected. I've been fighting an issue the last year where the motor bogs as I advance the throttle. It idles fine but as you put it in gear and advance the throttle it bogs and dies. If I press in on the choke before it dies it will pick up and run great at open throttle. It does this everytime I go from idle forward. I removed the carbs, cleaned them, and replaced them last year... but it doesn't seemed to have helped. One thing that I did notice while cleaning the carbs is that the spring that gives tension to the lever (throttle ?) on the carb was broken near the end. I checked with local boat dealer and they said you couldn't buy the spring... had to buy a whole new carb. Luckily it was broken near the end so I was able to rework the spring to make it work again.

I thought at one time that maybe it was sucking air through the oil side of the VRO but that seems to be capped of pretty good.

I've got new fuel line from motor to tank, and even bought a new tank just to be sure.

Any ideas???

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Motor Bogs at throttle advance

Did you use a carb rebuild kit when you cleaned the carb?
The pump would be high on my list if you have to choke it to make it run.
Not sure but I think sierra makes a gas only, none VRO, pump thats a lot cheaper.

hobiecat

Seaman Apprentice

I didn't use the kits when I cleaned the carbs. Everything seemed to be in real good shape.

I've suspected that it's the pump, but I've just been a little hesitant to buy one... the VRO pump is close to $350 new!!!... and I can't find any info on a rebuild kit for it. Does anyone know if there is a fuel pump that I could switch to? If so, do you know what the part number is??

In the meantime, I think I'll clean (and rebuild) the carbs again, just to see if maybe I missed something.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

activating the primer, pushing the button, injects fuel directly into the intake. you carbs have 3 jets, high, intermediate, and slow. sounds like it is not getting intermediate fuel. anyway, you have a fuel delivery problem. properly cleaning the carbs, removing the jets, cleaning. rebuild kits. sinc you carbs, then do a link n sinc on the timing and carbs. it will run like a new motor.

read the TOP SECRET FILE.

you have my answer on the fuel pump.

Brew2

Chief Petty Officer

Chased the same/similar problem for a long time in my '86 140.

As noted earlier, definately sounds like a fuel delivery issue if bumping the primer helps.

Before spending the $$ on a fuel pump, I'd be eliminating the carb and fuel lines as culprits. Remove & clean carbs/jets, install carb kits, check carb float settings and ensure the floats aren't sticking, double check all the fuel lines (in particular the small ones going to the carbs) for kinks that would slow fuel delivery. Replace the inline fuel filter.

Failing that, then I guess I'd be looking at the pump.

Good luck!

jonesg

Admiral

I didn't use the kits when I cleaned the carbs. Everything seemed to be in real good shape.

thats it, gotta use the carb kits with the new parts and seals. Pump is probably good.:)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i would change the pump, to the one i gave you, in the other post.