Outdrive identification

endneu913

Cadet
HI, im very new at this, and need to replace the prop shaft on my Outdrive. The motor is the 155 HP buick V6, the boat is 1968 Johnson Reveler. Folks who have seen pics of the drive claim that that it must be an earlier model drive ( 1967? ) Anyway, i need to find out how to find the right propeller shaft to replace the one that was claimed my a tree stump today. Thanks for any info!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Outdrive identification

Crystal ball is telling me you have a .... Sorry it's just a bit too foggy to make it out...

155hp V6 Buick doesn't tell us anything about the drive...

What drive do you have? Mercruiser, OMC, BMW, Yamaha ect.

endneu913

Cadet

DOH! i thought it was in there somewhere. Its an OMC drive. Very early 1967 or 68

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

Yes OMC elec. shift stringer drive, I have the same on my 18' buick v-6 155 1966 Chris Craft Sportsman Sea Skiff boat. where ya from? if all else fails send me a PM I have some laying around.

endneu913

Cadet

Yes OMC elec. shift stringer drive, I have the same on my 18' buick v-6 155 1966 Chris Craft Sportsman Sea Skiff boat. where ya from? if all else fails send me a PM I have some laying around.

Seattle, WA. Ill PM you

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I have a weird one around here too - pre-68. The oil pump cam was in a different place than the later electric shift lowers.
I recall It has a part number on the end of the shaft. If the other sources don't pan out - pm me. I'll dig it out and we can compare notes.

endneu913

Cadet
Last edited by a moderator:

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

those pictures are of little value... although it looks like a pre-68 drive - probably has 4 top cover bolts instead of 5. Still, that doesn't positively ID the prop shaft.

You need to remove the shaft to see where the oil pump cam is relative to the 2 sets of splines.
Better yet, read the part number off the front end once it's out.

If the shaft broke , I gotta wonder what other internal damage you'll find. The clutch tabs are almost certainly history.

You might be shopping for another drive, a 1968-77 high profile of similar ratio.

endneu913

Cadet

I have a local guy that has a lower unit for $200. Im not sure its identical, but he says they are interchangeable. Is this true?

endneu913

Cadet

Actually i think its been removed from a Mazda Rx7..... lol

It came from a mid 70's electric shift. My question was more geared to whether or not the tall and short profiles were interchangeable.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

64-67 lower does not mate with a 68-77 upper.
a complete later outdrive *should* work ...but your upper and lower are a mated pair if indeed pre-68 (identified by # of top cover bolts)

endneu913

Cadet

4 bolts on my top cover. Ill take my old one with me, and eyeball it.