Any other ways to find model # and serial #?

greenesgreen

Recruit
This is my first post on the forum. Although I've been cruising around the site soaking in the enormous amount of available info for a few weeks now. I recently purchased a 1983 Skeeter Starfire 160 project to keep me busy for the next few months. The problem i'm having is identifying the outboard motor. The guy i boat it from said it was an Evinrude 150 XP VRO. I checked all the recomended locations that should have the model and serial number stamped (the plug on the head and the transom mount). Theres nothing there. How else can i identify this motor? I need to order a few parts soon and need this info to get the correct parts. Thanks in advance.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Any other ways to find model # and serial #?

Write down some of the part numbers, the powerpack and rectifier are easy to see. Coils , VRO pump, carbs etc, look them up and see if they are correct for your yr, its not perfect but it should help zero in.
Post photos too.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

The ID plate is mostly removed when the engine is "hot"
It may not be like that in your case,but you should consider that possibility.

greenesgreen

Recruit

thanks for the advice jonesg, checked out a few part numbers and i've got a 1985 Evinrude 150 XP VRO.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

If a powerhead was ever replaced, even under warranty, the identification can get lost. OMC may have had other companies do their warranty overhauls, as the ID's are hard to recover sometimes. There are a couple of things to check. When the raw block is originally machined at the factory, the machinist stamps the block with the porting specs, such as 150 or 235, etc. See the (150) factory stamp on the web on this block. Also, when overhauled the mechanic may stamp his job number and the date on the top of the block. See pic, attached-it shows a number job #1506 and the overhaul date 9-13-85.

Attachments

• model Id 6 small file.jpg
    model Id 6 small file.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 0
  • model identification 5.jpg
    model identification 5.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 0