??? about surge brakes

hotdice

Recruit
I just bought a 20' mariah runabout and its sitting on a Cobolt custom trailer and it has surge brakes. My problem is that when I stop you can feel the trailer slam into the hitch and it fells like its coming through the back. And when I take off it slams back. I dont think my surge brakes are working. How do I fix it??? Thanks

SuperNova

Lieutenant
Re: ??? about surge brakes

I just bought a 20' mariah runabout and its sitting on a Cobolt custom trailer and it has surge brakes. My problem is that when I stop you can feel the trailer slam into the hitch and it fells like its coming through the back. And when I take off it slams back. I dont think my surge brakes are working. How do I fix it??? Thanks
How old is the trailer? There is a set of dampers inside the coupler that might be seized or worn out. Depends on how bad it is....some banging is normal due to the slop in the hitch assembly.

Bondo

Staff member

I dont think my surge brakes are working. How do I fix it???

Ayuh,... I think you're Right,...
The Fluid is Gone,... find the leak, fix it, then bleed 'em out...

reelnative

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yep if your banging then your out of fluid, open up the cap and put in some fluid ,there will be a hole up there were you can manualy move the piston that operates the breaks with a screwdriver, and look for were you have a leak, repair the leak then bleed the brakes by opening up the break line at each wheel and pumping the piston till its just fluid commong out then tighten up the conn on that wheel .start from the front wheels and go toward the back