Opinions on 96 explorer as tow vehicle?

chrclo

Seaman Apprentice
I am thinking of using my 1996 explorer to tow my 1996 Regal Valanti 182. Here are some specs.

Explorer has 4.0 v-6 4x4 with a special order 4.10 rear end. Manual says max towing is about 5000 lbs with 3.73 gears. I think I would get a little more with the 4.10's.

Boat dry weight I believe is about 2600lbs. I figure somewhere between 3200 and 3500 when its all said and done. Hydrolic surge brakes on the Zieman single axle trailer.

What do you guys think? Will I have an issue towing? I previously towed the boat with a 1999 dodge ram 1500 with the 4.7l v-8 and that was good.

jfadool

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Opinions on 96 explorer as tow vehicle?

If your max is even 5K I think you will be fine. Don't expect to set a speed record but those explorers tow ok, not great, but ok.

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't know how different the 96 is from the 98 that I had, but I didn't have any trouble towing a 21' 1975 Regal that weighed much closer to 5k than yours.

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use to own a (93) Ranger 4.0 5sp 4x4 and it was a great tow vech. It towed as good as my 1500 Chevy (not quite as much torque as the 1500 but pretty good). Trailer brakes are a good thing with that kinda weight. You should have no problem (imo).

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

Do you have a 2 door or 4 door? The length of the wheelbase plays a role in how stable you will be if you have to apply the brakes in a corner. Other than that, the 4.0 has the power to pull your boat, but as said before. Don't expect to set any speed records.

As long as you take your time, allow extra room to stop, etc. That truck will handle that boat.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Vehicle is up to it if you are...

F14CRAZY

Ensign

I owned both a '92 and a '93 Explorer and was active on a good message board...

Avoid towing with an automatic-V6 at all costs. The A4LD and its descendants can hardly take the power of the 4.0L without ever towing. There's some members there on their 4th (or higher) rebuild.

The 5.0L/302 was mated with the 4R70W, an excellent transmission in comparison, and there are few complaints with the 5 speed manual with the 4.0L.

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

That's surprising advice about the transmission, although the previous poster certainly could be right. You might want to research that issue further on discussion boards specifically for your vehicle.

You should have enough engine with your V6. We used to tow a boat about that size and weight with a 3 litre Toyota V6 and never had a problem.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

You should have enough engine with your V6.
Agreed

We used to tow a boat about that size and weight with a 3 litre Toyota V6 and never had a problem.
Irrelevant - it doesn't have the same transmission.

ADD a transmission cooler, change the fluid every year, don't tow in OD. and the one everybody forgets - LET IT COOL before shutting the engine off.

chrclo

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the posts. It is the 4 door, had the trans rebuilt about 20k miles ago (no problems since). Have a trans cooler from the factory. Sounds like I should be good to go. Upon more research with ford it looks like the truck was special ordered with these towing goodies. Thanks again for the help and I will let you know how it goes.

sprintst

Commander

I had a 97 Explorer 4.0 where the auto tranny went at about 120,000 miles. The tranny was blowing shifts before I started towing. This tranny was always serviced, synthetic fluid, cooler, etc.

Here begins the saga...

I knew it was going and decided to take it for one last trip before I junked it to pickup the boat 800 miles away. It made the trip no problem but the od went after I forgot to turn the od off after a gas stop. The tranny then started slipping horribly in all gears half way through Minnesota. It managed to make it up to 60 mph where I kept it for the next 6 hours. I made it to 300miles from home where I know I was going to be boned when I stopped for gas. After tanking up it would not go into any gear. I let it cool for a while then siphoned out some fluid and added a half bottle of Lucas tranny repair in a bottle (or whatever it`s called)

The transmission immediately started shifting again in all gears. The od was still toast but at least it was driveable. I made it the last 300 miles no problem and continued to drive it for another 4 months before I sold it to a friend that fixes cars for $400. The tranny would still blow shifts while he drove it and eventually he swapped the tranny out.

Long story short is that tranny should have lasted a lot longer than 120,000 and I`ve spoken to some transmission guys that see them go prematurely also. Just make sure to not forget to turn off your od and you should be ok hopefully :)