Want to build a Frankenoutboard

MostlyHrmlss

Seaman
I have a '78 85hp Chrysler with a bad piston, otherwise complete and in great shape. I am looking at an '85 85hp Force for sale nearby. Seller says powerhead and lower unit are good, broken bolts and stripped holes between them. What would be the best (i.e. most reliable, longest lasting) combination of parts? What combination would represent the least amount of work to get something usable? Any help would be appreciated.

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Want to build a Frankenoutboard

Gut tells me to stick with what's known and change the piston in yours.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Pros and cons: Your 78 is probably a distributor ignition engine--I don't think they changed to Prestolite distributorless untill 79 or 80. Distributor is a little less precise than Prestolite and Prestolite will produce slightly more power, but not enough that you can tell when running the boat

The distributor ignition will not fit on the later block unless you modify the alternator stator mount (top seal).

Other than that, the blocks are exactly the same with only minor carb changes.

However: every block I have ever seen was in excellent condition or ran when it was last stored--I'll respect you in the morning, the check is in the mail, I got an inside tip from a trainer; this horse is a shoe-in, Etc.

IF the cylinder on your engine is not scored or excessively worn, the piston can be replaced through the reed opening without disassembling the engine. If it needs boring, then the engine MUST be disassembled.

If you do need to take the engine apart, then you might as well port it--It will significantly improve power and will not affect service life.

As far as broken and stripped bolts you need to man-up. Drill out broken ones, retap, if possible, or Heli-coil, if possible, stripped bolt holes.

Attachments

• port.jpg
    port.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 0

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

How can you replace a piston without tearing a motor down???? I have never ever heard of this.....

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

IF the cylinder is not scored and does not need to be bored, then you take off the carbs, remove the manifold(s) and reed plates. Remove the head. Remove the con rod big end bolts through the reed opening and push the piston and rod out. Be careful not to lose any of the 16 rollers. Simple, I have done it a number of times and it saves a lot of time. More difficult on a 4 cylinder Force but still do-able.