Best rod holders

tpcowfish

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey, There may be some post on this, but I want to get updated opinions on the best rod holders for a open bow fishn boat. Maybe even some ideas to rig my own, Looking for easy to use good, versitle, mobile, like a system can be moved for different situations without a lot of re riggin. Mostly fish Lake Erie, but like to travel a little , Stripers(landlocked) and Bass. I had a treated board across back on old boat , i could take on and off, for trolling. Just lookin for some Ideas, U never know what u can learn from others, Thanks, Tim

Hoopie

Cadet
Re: Best rod holders

I would say double action monster rod holders or driftmaters.

tpcowfish

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Down East rod holders

These are my favorite as well, although the folbe seems to have some of the nice features of the Down East rod holder.

They look good, do you know if they work on a gunnel, I have a wide gunnel ,But I think I could clamp underneath, vertically, Do you have these?

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

They look good, do you know if they work on a gunnel, I have a wide gunnel ,But I think I could clamp underneath, vertically, Do you have these?

I do not use the clamp-on model. Mine are mounted to the vertical inside of the hull cap, which I guess is part of the gunwale on my boat. Looks like
10229_103503286327894_100000046706938_103301_1834264_n.jpg
you can see two of my four in this photo That is not me- a fishing buddy with a small Arrowhead Mtn Lake walleye

They bolt or screw on with two screws into the bases. Clamp on idea bothers my mind and it makes me afraid of someone stealing them. They are not expensive but they're not cheap, either.:eek:

tpcowfish

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well i dont troll to much, i like to remove them , or, move them, at will. I use them for walleye after catch. to keep rod safe, or bottom bouncer, jiggin in spring, would like to remove when i bass and put tarp on, or move with different amount of people, , Well thanks all for idea's!

bugman1964

Seaman Apprentice

I used the clamp style in my canoe years ago and it worked well. In my boat I ended up mounting them to the angled bracing at the center bench seat. The mounting plate was a little too wide for my gunnel. The downeast does have a tendancy to vibrate and make some noise when under power greater than trolling speed.

recce43

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i use scotty rod holders flush mount the pop out then you can put in drink holders anchor lock all kinds of stuff www.scotty.com

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Scotty's work well, they also have a Folbe clone.

Last edited:

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

...The downeast does have a tendancy to vibrate and make some noise when under power greater than trolling speed.

Depends on the boat and motor- mine are quiet at speed, but one rattles a little at idle. I bought a bag of 1000 rubber bands on the discount table at the local office supplies store. I drop one in while a rod is out of the holder. Shuts it right up. They are quiet with a rod in the holder too.

The biggest thing for me is that when a fish strikes, all you do is grab the rod and lift- you don't have to release anything or pull the rod forward or anything- your first action is the same movement you would make if you had been holding the rod, got a strike, and lifted to set the hook.

They also are very compact- even the Salty is not very big- 1/3 the bulk of the plastic rod holders.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

A buddy has the Down East models on his boat and they work well, I've always been amazed that more people around here don't use them.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Ebay's got some great deals on flush-mount stainless steel rod holders. I got a pair shipped out 2 for $30. They have rubber inserts and a cap that keeps water out when not in use. I like them:)

Keeps them out of the way but always there when you need them. I'll be adding downriggers w/ rod holders down the road too.

DSCF5691.jpg

tpcowfish

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oh by the way, Thanks everyone, pickin up some good tips, and photo's

recce43

Petty Officer 3rd Class

just small hole or you can get top mounts everthing just slides in and locks in but you are able to putt them in any postion