Windows 7

Laddies

Banned
Re: Windows 7

I have Windows 7 on my new computer and it worked great for the first month and now it locks up a couple times a day, which requires a cold boot to restart. Online tech support has not been able to get a handle on it. So I am not were pleased with it at the moment.

scipper77

Commander

I have a laptop with Vista home basic. Lately I have been having issues with Firefox. It is doing 2 things.

1 is some C++ runtime error or something like that causing it to have to restart firefox.

The second isue is sometimes when I close firefox and then try to restart the program I am told that Firefox is already running and can not be opened. I have to close it from the task manager before it will start.

Not sure if this ais a Vista issue, or some kind of Virus that slipped through??

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alot of people are saying its good, but I see no reason to upgrade. I haven't had to do something on the computer that XP couldn't handle.

RepoMan207

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alot of people are saying its good, but I see no reason to upgrade. I haven't had to do something on the computer that XP couldn't handle.

I agree with you, however when you eventually switch you'll be very happy with the perks & how it (I can't beileve I'm going to say this) simplifies what you're used to on XP.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

yeah, i can say for once that windows 7 is an upgrade from xp, i didnt feel the same with vista. 7 gives you all the features of vista, with the stability and reliability of xp. Ive been running it since BETA stages, now on a full version.

sprintst

Commander

Windows 7 rocks so far. All my background processes on my media centre pc used to take over the pc, virus scanner updates, tv listings, etc used to bog it down for 20 minutes.

Same hardware except running Windows 7 is night and day faster and more stable than Vista. XP was very stable but still does not have all the driver set of Windows 7 for new hardware, etc.

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

What XP was to 98 is what Win7 is to XP. Worth the upgrade all the way.

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just bought a new computer which has 7 on it. I really love it so far. It took all the good of xp and made it a little better. At work I have a laptop on my toolbox. I use it a lot for reprograming cars. It came with vista, which is not compatable with most car manufacturers. I ended up taking it and having xp put back on. I used to think that thing really rocked until I got my new computer at home with 7 on it. I love it.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

I've had zero issues with Vista, in fact, I run one laptop with Vista, one with 7, and a desktop with XP!

I've had ME in the past too. :redface:

how do you do that? I have 2 pc's on my home network that run XP pro (one desktop and one laptop) and one with win vista. I cannot share files or printers with the XP os pc's and the Vista PC. So can you share files now with 7 and vista? You cannot share files and printers between XP and Vista.

skargo

Banned

how do you do that? I have 2 pc's on my home network that run XP pro (one desktop and one laptop) and one with win vista. I cannot share files or printers with the XP os pc's and the Vista PC. So can you share files now with 7 and vista? You cannot share files and printers between XP and Vista.

I never had an issue sharing files and printer between Vista and XP, and windows 7 works with XP too. You can't use the homegroup thing though.

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1405566

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

Your office program didn't work because you didn't get the ultimate, which has backwards XP compatibility.
I don't think it's just Ultimate. I'm running Home Professional and it has the ability to emulate previous versions of Windows through the Compatibility Wizard. The OP, wvmedic, states he's using win 7 home, but doesn't specify Basic or Professional. The feature may well be included in Home Basic as well - I don't know.
I'm not currently running microsoft office because my old office will not work in win 7.
Have you tried using the compatibility wizard in Windows 7? You may already be aware of this feature in 7 and if so don't bother reading the rest of this post, but 7 can emulate any previous version of Windows to allow most programs that are otherwise incompatible with 7 to run normally. I'm always hesitant to make assumptions of an OP's level of knowledge as an explanation that's meant to be helpful could be construed as insulting, though, in case you were unaware of this feature, here's how to access it,
Right click on a program icon and you will have these choices,
Wizard-1.jpg

Choose "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
Wizard-2.jpg

And you have a choice of letting 7 make an attempt at choosing emulation settings or manually choosing the settings based on what type of problem or incompatibility notifications that you are seeing.
Wizard-3.jpg

If you choose, "The program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now," then you'll be able to choose which version of Windows to emulate.
Wizard-4.jpg

Using emulation I've been able to keep using a number of programs that initially wouldn't run under 7. Hope this helps, :)

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have been using windows 7 since the first beta came out, and I love it! It is the New XP for sure.

Bifflefan

Commander

I have read about Vista being a problem for a long time now and I have no doubt that Win7 is a superior product. I have been running Vista for close to two years and I haven't had any problems, but one. I haven't been able to find a Vista printer driver for my HP printer. But that's really an HP issue rather than a Vista issue.

So, would someone please tell me what's wrong with my Vista.

I too have been running Vista since it came out. Not a single issue with it. But im not an IT or gamer. I just use it for internet and pics. It works fine and I am very happy with it.
I have to say it works better with 4 gigs of ram than 1 tho.

I did think there was an issue a while back, but after removing the back and vacuming out a 1/2 a pound of dog hair it works great again. LOL

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

I am running home premium. Also just to inform, I was in no way suggesting switching to win 7. Just an observation from my point on 7, I was worried about the switch. Now that I have switched I'm glad I did, to me it is faster and more streamlined than XP. Don't take me wrong I loved XP and used it for years, however it appears that the technology is moving toward 64 bit more now than before. So that is the reason I went ahead and changed, my son is still running my old XP home on his desk top and I'm still running XP pro on my laptop.

Jeff

waterinthefuel

Commander

I am running office 2007 and it is working fine in windows 7. I ran it with Win XP SP2 compatibility and it works great.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I'm running XP on five computers in my home. I'm not switching any of them, until I absolutely have to.

???

waterinthefuel

Commander

Looks like you have about 4 more years. I read somewhere that XP will lose support in 2014. That would mean it was Microsoft's longest running operating system.

I'll tell you this, from someone who's had XP since the beginning Win 7 is great. I still am running Win XP on my main mack-daddy gaming machine, but it only recognizes 3 gigs of RAM and I have 8 available. It's really nice but isn't a 64 bit OS. I have Win 7 in 64 and 32 bit and have 32 bit on my old laptop and it runs smoother with Win 7 32 bit than it did with XP 32 bit. It's a better OS, I'm telling you.

You can hold onto XP or a little longer but when you do switch to Win 7 you won't regret it. Take my word for it, I've had XP since 2001.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Using XP on the home computer and the old laptop. Got 7 on the new laptop. Don't really like 7 yet as it seems to be a pain in the rear end to do things that I can fly through with XP. Could just be me not being used to it so I am not going to be judgmental till I have given it some more time and perseverance !!

waterinthefuel

Commander

That's right. Things are in slightly different spots than XP and you are just used to it. If you want, you can do like I did and select "classic view" and make it look like Win 98. That's what I have done in XP and Win 7 and that way nothing really changes!!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

That's right. Things are in slightly different spots than XP and you are just used to it. If you want, you can do like I did and select "classic view" and make it look like Win 98. That's what I have done in XP and Win 7 and that way nothing really changes!!

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try.:)