AQ131 or AQ151?

Auburn01

Recruit
Last fall I purchased a Bayliner 1950 Capri with a bad AQ131 engine. Since I need to replace or rebuild it, would it be better to get an AQ151? What auto version would I be looking for and would I gain any thing by doing that?

Thanks

captmello

Captain
Re: AQ131 or AQ151?

the 151 is about the engine with a twin carb setup. You'd gain about 20 hp.
The 151 would most likely drop right into your boat. I can't say if all the plumbing for cooling the engines is the same however so be careful about trying to buy a block only and converting. If your looking to repower I'd look for a complete engine or just stick with the 131. B23 is the volvo block for the 131.

Let us know what you end up doing and how it goes.:)

Auburn01

Recruit

Thanks Captmello. I have found a nice B230 enfine that is complete for $800. Since I have to replace the engine any way, I was thinking of going with the AQ151 but I don't know what the automotive designation is for that engine. The increase in hp would be nice. I have everything for the existing AQ131 but don't know if it will bolt on to an AQ151. From looking at both engines, it appears that the blocks are identical but I'm not sure.
Thanks again for the info.

captmello

Captain

I have to admit, I haven't put much research into the differences between the engines. Go to the adults only section in this forum and go to the volvo info page and download the service manual for the motors your looking at. They share the same manual. The manual lists the different specs on the two motors. You can also go to the volvo parts section and compare part numbers to see which parts the motors share or don't share.

Even if they shared the same block, you'd still have to get the carbs and intake for a 151 as well as any parts that the two motors don't share. I guess, being a practically minded type, I wouldn't worry about the added horse power, it's not that much. If you want better performance, play with the prop or buy is boat with a V8.:)

I would also encourage you to make sure your boat is worth the investment in the new motor. I think $800 is a lot for a used long block. Remember, if it's a car motor, you'll have to switch all the parts from your boat engine including the camshaft. And since you'll have the engine torn down, you may as well have it checked over by a machine shop, etc, etc...