Adding little storage "slot" for iPod/MP3 player - ideas?

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I replaced my stereo with a new one that has an input jack for an MP3 player/iPod type device. I want to add a little storage box next to the stereo for the iPod. Really, all I need is maybe a plastic box 5" x 3" by 5" deep or so. It would need to be mountable to a vertical surface where the opening would be cut. Basically, the stereo is mounted on a vertical 3/8 in. thick board that has plenty of space for a small box. The mounting board is easily removed to cut a hole in it and mount something.

I just can't find that size or similar storage box that mounts vertically. Black/dark colored is better but I really don't care.

Ideas? Links to web sites that sell such stuff? Thx.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: Adding little storage "slot" for iPod/MP3 player - ideas?

What about something like this?

MB quart makes them and they are available all over online.

Attachments

• 500199_M1.jpg
    500199_M1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 0

a70eliminator

Captain

Well, sinse your backing plate is already wood, why not just make a wooden recessed box glue and screw it right to the board, thet way you can make it whatever size you want.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I keep my cell phone in a suction-cup holder, stuck on the inside of the windshield. There are a lot of suction-cup holders of varying sizes available. Maybe that would work; you can try a number of locations and then screw it in if you want to.

Jakebob

Seaman

You could take a trip to the local auto junk yard. There are a tons of little boxes in consoles and dashes of late model cars. Most just pop out, and the junk yard would sell them for pennies. Sometimes they will let you take that kind of stuff for free. Especially if you purchase something else.

sebber83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My technique is very low tech, I stick a piece of velcro to the back of my ipod and another piece wherever I plan on placing my Ipod. The velcro is white so you dont really notice it. I have a piece in the Bow area, the driver's dash area and the back sun pad area. My Ipod to Stereo cable is is long enuf to reach those places!

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

Menard's has a large assortment of various sized plastic containers with flip tops.I have purchased a few for small specialty items in my tool box.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My technique is very low tech, I stick a piece of velcro to the back of my ipod and another piece wherever I plan on placing my Ipod. The velcro is white so you dont really notice it. I have a piece in the Bow area, the driver's dash area and the back sun pad area. My Ipod to Stereo cable is is long enuf to reach those places!

I essentially did the same thing except I bought an extra I phone holster and attached the Velcro to the back of that instead of the phone itself. Use the phone for I pod and GPS app. Handy location to stereo and helm. And holster remains in place all the time.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

wish i had a pic of mine handy, don't and the boat is in storage...

anyway, I made a cardboard template, and then fiberglassed the entire thing based off the cardboard mold. By the time i was done sanding/painting/waxing, it looks like it is 100% factory made. (bright yellow boat/interior, and I just happened to grab a yellow rattlecan that perfectly matched the boat)

Search google for 'din pocket', there is a big market for that item in cars that have a dual din slot but someone only installs a single din head unit.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

are you worried about it getting wet? made a plastic sleeve for mine (out of food saver bag) a couple of pieces of velcro 1 to keep bag closed and the other to stick it to dash. I modified my food saver so i can turn on sealer/heating element when i want. can post pics if you need

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wow, lots of ideas...thanks all. I just ordered one of the communication caddy type things from Overtons. Just what I need. This is for inside the cabin next to the stereo so I wanted it to be sort of permanent.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, I hate it when someone gets help here and the OP doesn't follow up, so....

I got two of these little holder things Ezmobee had linked me to and the project turned out very nice. It holds the mp3 player that is wired to the stereo and also the remote for the stereo. Looks and functions perfectly. Thanks to all for the ideas. I should have taken a photo, but I'm low-tech usually.

Anyways, thanks again.