What kind of tools do you carry on your boat

golf101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Now into use of my second boat, and realized over the weekend that I have never given a lot of thought to what tools I should keep on board (I've got a 26' I/O bowrider). I always have a wrench for the drain plug, but that's about all I regularly keep on board. What do you keep?

NelsonQ

Lieutenant
Re: What kind of tools do you carry on your boat

I keep a few consumables like electrical tape, wire, fuses. Also keep a spare set of plugs.

For tools I carry a slotted screwdriver, plug wrench, pliers, and a mini volt meter.

I think it's just a collection of a few tools/things I've used around the boat more than a few times, so I just leave them in a small box on the boat.

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lets be honest, you really are NOT going to be able to do any major repairs on the water (maybe change a belt if it's an I/O is probably gonna be the most involved you may do on the water). A very basic tool kit (screwdriver's, a couple wrenches/sockets, plug wrench and pliers) is more than you will probably ever use (IMO). Instead, I'd focus more on consumables like extra fuses and bulbs, elec. tape, a lenth of wire, spare fluids, ect.

jfadool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like just a set of wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, fuses, tape, and a radio. But necessity is the mother of invention. The best tool you can have is enough knowledge of what needs to be done.

I have cleaned a carb, and even rebuilt a starter floating on the lake. Not fun but when you need to get back you have to do it.

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very few. All my energy is in maintenance and testing while on shore at the dock.

I have a leatherman type multi tool, fishing knife, and and a good two way radio.

Let people know where you are and when you will be back.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think much depends on where you boat and how long you are out each time.

We fish nearby freshwater inland lakes for just a few hours, so about the only tool I have is a wrench to remove/install the prop nut and a small block of wood to put between the prop and the antiventilation plate to keep the prop from turning while working on it. Oh, and a spare prop and lube, of course!

I don't plan on changing any plugs or doing other engine maintenance on the water. That's what preventive maintenance is for. If the motor does happen to die for some reason, our trolling motor or another boater should get us back to the ramp. -Ken

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Lets be honest, you really are NOT going to be able to do any major repairs on the water (maybe change a belt if it's an I/O is probably gonna be the most involved you may do on the water). A very basic tool kit (screwdriver's, a couple wrenches/sockets, plug wrench and pliers) is more than you will probably ever use (IMO). Instead, I'd focus more on consumables like extra fuses and bulbs, elec. tape, a lenth of wire, spare fluids, ect.

+1

Boating where I do, I just get thrown around too much to do anything tricky away from the dock. I'll ask or call for a tow before I'll risk hurting myself. There's a lot of really hard, sharp, pointy stuff down in the ER.

I do carry drive belts and tools to change them. Fuel filters and a wrench. Some electrical stuff (fuses, wire stripper, couple lengths of wire, butt connectors). Pliers, knife, duct tape.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

I carry the tools I need to disassemble lower unit if need be.on the water for a week at a time. alsp fuel hose and clamps. the closer you are to help the less you need

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

IN addition to the above:
A new addition to the tool box is a filter wrench to change the water seperator (and carry a spare).
Rather than focus on the motor, consider other mechanical areas. a problem with a bilge pump or livewell can sink the boat, so clamps are important. You may need to by-pass systems so electrical wire and hoses are important. The multitool may not be enough when dealing with stubborn parts (especially around salt) so real wrenches, pliers and screw drivers are important, as is a small hammer.

Most of the repairs I make underway aren't do-or-die engine repairs, but fixing the other stuff that's important or condusive to a good trip. You aren't going to die if your bimini falls apart but won't you have a better day if you can fix it, even temporarily?

You have to be able to take care of yourself out there, even if you have a tow service. Boating is not like highway driving; it is like off-road travel. Also, you want to be able to help out another stranded boater, so those extras are important.

The most important tool is the anchor. If you have a problem you have to be able to stay put until you fix it or get help.

HotKetchup

Seaman

Lots of variables there...where you'll be, how far you are from other boaters, and age & condition of your boat. You NEVER know what will happen. So be as prepared as possible. Space and weight permitting. I carry a couple sizes of cresent wrench, vice grips, duct tape, a small socket set 1/4" through 5/8" (I have an old US made boat & motor so no metric required) Wire cutters, needle nose, channel locks, a few different sizes/types screwdrivers, small hammer. Engine oil, lower unit oil, and WD-40. ANd Toilet paper..DO NOT forget toilet paper:redface:

dumy1

Cadet

You can never have too much duct tape, zip ties or bungee cords :). Plus what was said above.
Ron

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Lots of variables there...where you'll be, how far you are from other boaters, and age & condition of your boat. You NEVER know what will happen. So be as prepared as possible. :

There is so much wrong in this thinking I don't know where to start.

How many time have you been on a airplane and saw the crew loading a roll around tool box onboard just in case?

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

How many time have you been on a airplane and saw the crew loading a roll around tool box onboard just in case?

You're comparing apples to potatoes.

Are you saying that since you may not be able to fix much don't be prepared?

I can't see why having a good assortment of tools aboard is in ANY way wrong.

Cheers.

wvit1001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The tool I have used more than anything else is a long set of jumper cables.

I haven't had to jump my boat yet but I've given jumps to at least a couple of people a year. Hopefully there will be someone around when I need a jump.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

The local hardware shop had a sale on a 200piece tool kit (super cheapy) for like $50. Had an assortment of wrenches (metric and standard) alan keys, screw drivers, socket set...etc..even a mini hammer. It's come in handy a few times, and comes in a convenient carrying case that stows away nicely. The filter wrench is a good idea...gonna toss one in there too...and booster cables...never thought of that either. Also keep a spare litre of oil, and hydraulic fluid just in case.

Ian

HotKetchup

Seaman

Funny you should ask..I happen to be an aircraft (KC-135) mechanic in the Air Force. I see it very often actually. Thats why you rarely see the US AIr Force unable to accomplish a mission. Maybe sometimes a slight delay..but we get fixed and get the job done.

ANd yes while this comparison you make is quite coincidental, I see very little relationship to a small, boat owned by an average person with average income, Owned by who knows how many people, unknowing of how it was used and/or abused, past mechanical history, etc...and an aircraft that has an army of mechanics and millions of dollars to keep it in tip top shape.

Being a mechanic on cars, planes, and boats my whole life, Ive learned one thing...new or old, no matter how well you think youve prevented it,,..things break.
So keep that attitude and be prepared for an unpleasant outing one of these days because you were short a pair of needlenose pliers.

fishrdan

Admiral

I'm with the other guys who carry a good selection of tools and consumables. There have been several times when a quick repair on the water was the difference between heading home of staying out on the water, and more than once I've repaired something to limp back to the dock on my boat, or for others.

Not only does it come in handy for the boat, but I have used it on my vehicle and while camping to jerry rig something.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I'm with being prepared....I get,pissed off when a day is ruined due to lack of a simple tool onboard...I can't agree more with jumper cables or a jump box...;)

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Since I have a bigger boat I've got the 'luxury' of a dedicated locker for tools.
Inside is a large plastic box with a complete (SAE and metric) socket set and a second SAE socket set for when I drop one over....:D. Got a couple Channelocks, visegrips, wire cutter, needlenose, adjustable, open-end wrenches, strap wrench, screwdriver set, hammer, 2 pipe wrenches, pipe dope, teflon tape, utility knife, 12V cordless drill with charger, drill bit set, 2-electrical testers, non-contact thermometer, prop puller, wooden emergency plugs, jumper cables AS WELL as a jumpbox, stainless nuts, bolts, screws and washers, various tapes, electrical connectors, soldering gun.....and probably more.

I also have a forward locker with spare parts. That list is a looooong one!

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I carry a small tool box with the usual, primary tools on the boat. Not just for possible use on the water but also for use while I am working on the boat in the driveway so I don't have to keep climbing in and out of the boat!! Also agree with the poster who mentioned bungees and zip ties. Up to my eyeballs with them on boat too.