2000 Waverunner XL1200 LTD Newbie

swantzilla

Cadet
I have been boating for 50+ years but this is my first PWC. It was a take it if you want it deal. The motor is missing the head and associated hardware. The pistons and cylinders look ok upon initial examination. No rust or marring of the walls, just real smooth. I was told that water got into the engine and it would not turn over. I soaked the cylinder walls with oil and then took a piece of wood and placed it on top of the piston and smacked it with a hammer. The piston(s) moved and it seemed to free up but I heard some scraping in the jet when the piston(s) would move. I have not hooked the starter up yet to crank it. I wanted to obtain a manual before getting too deep into it. I do have a bunch of questions that a manual and this board should be able to easily answer. This board was invaluable in repairing my 115HP Yamaha outboard in the past. Ok, my first of many dumb questions. Does this thing need a key to start it?

swantzilla

Cadet
Re: 2000 Waverunner XL1200 LTD Newbie

I figured out that it uses a code to lock and unlock it. Can I get the display to function to display the hours on the motor without starting it?

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

well I don't really want writers cramp,, carpel tunnel etc,, however the engine needs to be removed,, the pump is probably locked up from corrosion under the liner, you should probably part it out and sell it if it were free it wasn't a good deal if you want it to be useable. Sorry but that's the truth in my opinion.

swantzilla

Cadet

I am not sure what you mean about liner? I looked at the intake side of the pump and the output side of the pump and it looks clean. The wear ring looks clean. The only thing that I have found wrong with it so far, beside missing the head, is the starter solenoid does not put 12v to the starter.