Blowout (cavitation) or something else???

corbett79

Cadet
I recently purchased a '92 Johnson 8 hp outboard for my 12' Sears Jon Boat. The first few times taking it out it ran pretty good except at the top end speed; once it planed and nearly reached what seemed top speed, the rpms shot up almost as if it was in neutral.

My neighbor said he thought this was blowout (cavitation). No big deal at first, as a few mph was no big deal to me since I previously used a trolling motor to get around.

Today, it was doing this even at low speeds. In fact, from a starting position, I could turn to full throttle and it would cavitate almost immediately. However, I could go forward at low speeds and increase speed VERY slowly if only slightly giving more throttle. Even still, once it reached a certain rpm, it would cavitate (or this is what I am assuming it is doing).

The cavitation plate is definitely below the hull, so I can't imagine this is the problem. I tried different running the motor at different angles (placing the pin through 3 of the 4 holes), with and without a passenger, but no difference. The prop seems in decent shape as well.

What else can I try? Thanks!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Blowout (cavitation) or something else???

Sounds just like a spun prop. Needs re-hubbing or replacing.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

You can mark the position of the prop and the hub then run it till it does it again. See if the marks still line up. If not then you will know.

corbett79

Cadet

Thanks for the quick response. I am very much a novice at outboard maintenance & not the most mechanically inclined...what is the hub in relation to the prop? Looking at an exploded diagram on boats.net, I'm not sure what exactly you are referring to.

mettyfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The hub is the rubber insert in between the splined part that slides on the prop shaft and the inside of the prop itself. Hope this makes sense. Sometimes the rubber piece can slip and spin within the prop area. So mark the rubber and the edge of prop and after it acts up again look to see if they are still lined up or not. If not the hub needs replacing. Good luck. Mettyfish

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

The hub is the rubber insert in between the splined part that slides on the prop shaft and the inside of the prop itself. Hope this makes sense. Sometimes the rubber piece can slip and spin within the prop area. So mark the rubber and the edge of prop and after it acts up again look to see if they are still lined up or not. If not the hub needs replacing. Good luck. Mettyfish

Nice explanation.:)

corbett79

Cadet

Didn't perform the recommended check, but went ahead and replaced the prop per the seloc manual. Ran like a champ yesterday with no issues; that definitely was the problem. Thanks for the help!:)

re613

Seaman Apprentice

Hello, you can get the old prop rehubbed and keep it for a spare.