Making the windshield visible again...

Topol_86

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After reading through quite a few posts, I didn't come across any answer that seemed to fit my project...as far as I can tell my windshield is just plexi-glass....does anyone know of any method to make this see-through again? or am I better off just replacing with new plexi-glass. Cost is a major factor in my project, so I'd like to just "clean" the windshield...any advice, greatly appreciated. Here's a couple pics...the one from the side is how the side windows look...wondering if i can make the front anything close to the side:
SUC50740.jpg
SUC50741.jpg

KoenBrink

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Making the windshield visible again...

Yes, that's a common problem with plexiglass windows.

Unfortunately, I don't really have a clue how to fix this, and I've got exactly the same problem. :(

I heard once, you can try to get some kind of wax on it to kind of fill the scratches.

Koen

reelfishin

Captain

You can buff plexiglass but chances are by the looks of that windshield, your better off just replacing it. Your going to spend more time polishing and buffing it than it's worth, and the results may still not be acceptable. Like any other plastic, plexi degrades with age, chances are even if you can but that back up, it'll still show signs of crazing or worse yet, optical distortion. If that glass if flat, Id consider putting in a piece of safety glass and making the repair permanent.
Harbor Freight sells a headlight lense restore kit for about $15 which gives you everything you need to polish that up but I have to say your $15 is best spent on a new piece of Plexiglass or Lexan.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have had good luck with novus plastic polish and it is time consuming (most motorcycle shops carry it and some auto parts stores).

Figure in your labor + the cost and then price out a sheet of plexi that size (I prefer lexan myself which is MUCH harder).

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If that one had more complex curves to it, I'd try to polish it. But as it's practically flat, I wouldn't waste my time. I'd just replace it. I had no luck polishing my old plexi windshield.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Wow, that looks really frosted...or maybe blasted by a sand/dirt storm. I wouldn't mess with it, your windshield is a nice one-piece panel...replacement is the best bet if you want to see where you're going on the water.

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

if your set on trying to fix it....try the headlight polishing kit you can get from autozone....i used it on one of our race cars that we use plexi for windows to save weight and it did very well

89nissanbassboat

Seaman Apprentice

if your set on trying to fix it....try the headlight polishing kit you can get from autozone....i used it on one of our race cars that we use plexi for windows to save weight and it did very well

2nd that headlight restoration kit!!, my headlights used to look like your windshield...now they are clear as new...for $25 you can't go wrong and for that price you wont come close to replacing that windshield cuz plexiglass is not cheap!

Just follow the directions on the kit, take your time and do several passes for each process and don't use excessive pressure...I can promiss you it will be the best $25 bucks you ever spent...make sure you get the 3M kit and good luck!

backlashed

Seaman

Before you get carried away and buy a kit, try a polishing tooth paste. Start on an edge somewhere and open up the elbow grease. If you can get the results you want with that, then go buy the kit. If you don't, replace it with Lexan.

Topol_86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll try the toothpaste method, but likely will just end up replacing it. I was more just curious as to whether it could be cleaned up

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Post a before and after pic of your attempt to clean/polish, so others can benefit from it...and the panel install if you replace it.

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not sure if you have the access to a good automotive buffer and pollish or not, but that would probably do the trick. The headlight kit would probably do a pretty good job, but a lot of work. An automotive buffer with different pads and polishes would be the ticket. Start out with a good cut and work to a fine polish with a foam pad. It's not much different than a car. Auto clear coat is nothing but liquid plastic.