Johnson 115 SPL bogging down

j_johnson33

Cadet
I have a 1997 johnson 115 SPL at first start up everything is fine I can give it all the throttle I need the boat jumps up on plane. I can slow down and jump on it again with the same response. If I turn the engine off from then on when I give it throttle to get back on plane the motor boggs down. If I back off the throttle to about half it will start to pick up speed once it is on plane it is fine. if I come off plane same thing happens (bogg). What could cause the lack of response after the engine is turned off? Why dose it not do it when I first start out. Carbs were cleaned late last year,new filters/separator,plugs, fresh fuel, compression is 105-110 on all cyl. any suggestions? thanks in advance.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Johnson 115 SPL bogging down

i would check spark when it starts to bog. stop right there and check it. could be coil heating up and failing. also could be fuel restriction.

71Windsor

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you by any chance choking it to start it each time? A lagging choke would cause that 'bog' you feel. One is a while my choke will stick after I start it and I have to activate the plunger a few times with the key. To free it.

j_johnson33

Cadet

It starts with minimal choking when cold.
what is odd is that after first starting there is no problem it only happens after the engine is turned off and restarted. I never have to choke it on the restart.