12 HP Gale Buccaneer knocking Update

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay so i had a knocking sensation that stalled the motor, was told to check for loose conecting rods.

Well i did a check, there was no free play on either piston. I still split the crankcase. There does not appear to be any issues. It all looks very clean, just a little tarnish on the connecting rods. What is the torque supposed to be on these bolts? might as well tell me the torque for the crankcase bolts too

Upon inspecting the exhaust manifold, there was good buildup of carbon, nearly blocking all the exhaust ports. Maybe i have localized overheating in this area? possibly water getting into cylinders from here?

I will replace the lower exhaust gasket, crankshaft gasket (yeah it looked pretty weak), and manifold gaskets

Don't know what else to check, i can't pull the pistons out, and not sure i would be able to get them back in either

14ftgrumman

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 12 HP Gale Buccaneer knocking Update

If water was geting into the cyl, there would be no carbon.

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 12 HP Gale Buccaneer knocking Update

Okay, just read up on this autonomous detonation that causes knocking, making the metal hammering sound that i hear. It's either caused by overheating or running lean on fuel. Any chance the plugged exhaust ports caused this predetonation?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Delete

Re: Delete

Deleting reply. Already spoke out on the other forum.