Merc Hot Dog Engine Oil

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Well today it happened. I have been "surmising" that the top of the line Merc oil was synthetic. Apparently WRONG. Today I am at WW and lo and behold I see a quart of Quicksilver "synthetic blend". Pricing on it was $3.77 where Merc's TOL oil to date was/has been $3.45.

Well so much for the disconnected assumption that Merc's premium oil to date was syn. Psssssssssssst.. Pennzoil offers a 100% syn. So for you Brunswick, Quicksilver, Merc. OEM mfgrs and all your STUFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.......Psssssssssssssst on your oil. POS.

Mark

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Merc Hot Dog Engine Oil

Well today it happened. I have been "surmising" that the top of the line Merc oil was synthetic. Apparently WRONG. Today I am at WW and lo and behold I see a quart of Quicksilver "synthetic blend". Pricing on it was $3.77 where Merc's TOL oil to date was/has been $3.45.

Well so much for the disconnected assumption that Merc's premium oil to date was syn. Psssssssssssst.. Pennzoil offers a 100% syn. So for you Brunswick, Quicksilver, Merc. OEM mfgrs and all your STUFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.......Psssssssssssssst on your oil. POS.

Mark
Be carefull with that full syn in older mercs.. I run the Penszoil Syn Blend.. Yep, it's cheaper, better and smokeless to boot! Well, I guess they're all supposed to be smokeless but mine smokes less with the penzoil at 40:1.

I haven't figured out what's synthetic about recently died animal fat vs. really old dinosaur fat but who cares:D it's cheaper and just as good.

j_martin

Admiral

Be carefull with that full syn in older mercs.. I run the Penszoil Syn Blend.. Yep, it's cheaper, better and smokeless to boot! Well, I guess they're all supposed to be smokeless but mine smokes less with the penzoil at 40:1.

I haven't figured out what's synthetic about recently died animal fat vs. really old dinosaur fat but who cares:D it's cheaper and just as good.

Actually, the feed stock for synthetic oil can be anything, including dino crude. The difference is that synthetic oil is all ester, and all the same weight. Distilled oil is part ester, part parafinic, and different weights blended to an average weight.

verado7

Chief Petty Officer

there will be problems with using full synthetic in an older outboard because of clearances - full syn will pee right thru giving increased wear not to mention your motor will over rev if your propped to max rpm.
i use esso synth.blend ( rpms did increase also ) if you read the manual it states to double the amount if usimng some competitors oil because of viscosity differences - wether the blend will be good in the long run i have yet to see but it does keep the cylinders cleaner and the motor runs smoother/ more power.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Gosh another oil thread!!!:eek: I suggest to my customers the Merc premium plus or the Merc Rejuvenate for older engines or a NAME brand oil. The Hi-po guys around here use the Red Line and Royal purple and swear by it.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Actually, the feed stock for synthetic oil can be anything, including dino crude. The difference is that synthetic oil is all ester, and all the same weight. Distilled oil is part ester, part parafinic, and different weights blended to an average weight.
Didn't know that, thanks.:)

will941s

Chief Petty Officer

Hav'nt done it a whole lot, but when I'm in a budget crunch I have bought good ole super tech OB oil from wally world and even that worked pretty well. I use Quicksilver when I can though but the super tech actually smoked less, and performed pretty dang well, and a WHOLE lot cheaper. I got the idea using their carb cleaner once and that was the only carb cleaner to eat everything out of my carb, at $1.20 a can vs. $3.75 a can for the name brand stuff. Just saying, sometimes if you need some oil, and you have little cash, thats a pretty good alternative. I decarb the crap out of my engine anyway so have no clue what the long term effects of it are.