power tilt swap out question

Mideerslayer

Seaman Apprentice
I am going to scrap the 85 85hp force and i am picking up a 70hp Chrysler, not sure of the year as of yet, but its looks late 70's.My question is can the hydraulics's be switched over from the force to the Chrysler,so i still have the power trim option.

Also how do i remove the old motor from the transom.

This is my first boat, so i am very green,wet behind the ears,however you would like to say it

Thanks

Rich

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: power tilt swap out question

Everything will transfer directly over. You need not change controls and the tilt/trim will bolt right up. I believe that in 85 they still used clamp on transom moounts. At any rate, Remove the hood, remove the steering cable, remove the electrical cable, remove the control cables and fuel line. Unbolt the bottom two bolts on the transom clamps (9/16 wrench), release or unbolt the top, and lift off the engine. Two men and a boy should be able to lift the 275 lbs.

Mount the older engine and re-attach everything--as I said, it all fits. Switch the tilt with the 85 off the transom and before mounting the older engine -- it's easier.

IF to 70 turns out to be 1978 or earlier with a two piece lower unit: Might I suggest that if you are scrapping the 85 because of the block only, switch blocks. The 85 has a better lower unit and it will be about the same amount of work as swapping the tilt. PLUS-- you don't need to take the engine off the transom

Mideerslayer

Seaman Apprentice

Frank

If i take pictures and give you a serial number, will you be able to tell if i can just swap out the upper half and leave the lower unit.

the wiring looks the same and so does most of the upper half.

thanks

Rich

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I Don't need photos, I told you: EVERYTHING swaps. Nothing was changed on the basic block until well into the 90s--even then, Merc kept the same pattern. The mounting stud pattern is the same, the exhaust down tube is the same, Controls are the same. Ignition is different and will not swap, block to block so you need to keep the whole ignition system on the 70.

Remove the wiring, cables, and all associated crap. Disconnect the shift rod under the bottom carb. Remove the rear shroud and remove the 6 nuts holding the studs. Go around front and remove the six 3/8 bolts. You will probably need to remove the lower pan because it will be necessary to pry up the block. One person CAN lift a 3 cylinder block but it is way easier for two.

Might take the whole weekend to swap because you have never done it, but certainly no longer.

Here is a photo of a 3 cylinder block I repaired and mounted on a newer midleg

Attachments

• 3CYL.jpg
    3CYL.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1

Mideerslayer

Seaman Apprentice

Frank

I am sorry if i upset you with the question of your response, i am just new at this and afraid to screw something up.

If i was to just swap the whole motor, lower unit intact, will the transom clamps swap out.They are both the clamp on style,one has a bolt to tighten, and the other has a little handle.

Sine this so new to me, i am afraid to take something apart that doesnt look identical, and take a chance that i cant get it back together.

I have worked on cars and trucks a lot, so i can wrench, but this marine stuff is new to me.

So again, o am sorry if i upset you, and thank you so much for all your help so far

Rich

RRitt

Captain

I think what franks is telling you is to swap out the block/heads/carbs and leave everything else. Which ... if i understand him ... means that everything from the pan down just stays on your boat. When you are done the cowl will say Force 85HP and all but the most trained of professionals will be unable to tell the difference.

Mideerslayer

Seaman Apprentice

I tried to look up the model number and serial number, and i cant come up with anything.

The model number is 7573 and the serial number is 4333.

If i do just swap the blocks over, i need to get a water impeller for the 85hp force correct? All other parts would be for the "new block"

Thanks again for all the help

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

You didn't upset me! I was just re-explaining with a bit more emphasis.

NO--The water pump impeller need not be changed. Matter of fact, the newer pump has a slightly larger impeller and is a better pump than the earlier one, but either will supply enough water to cool. The same impeller in each type pump was used on all engines from 75 up to 140 HP.

Yes, transom clamps are basically the same and held on to the engine yoke with the same 1/2 inch carriage bolt. Power tilt mounting holes are the same. The handle type are old style, but the threads are the same so if you want, you can drive out the pin holding the handles and remove the clamp bolts. However, you MAY have a problem inserting the newer bolts because the older clamps (with only one bottom hole) had about 1/4 inch less throat clearance. If that's the case, then you would need to remove the beveled washers and insert the bolts through the front. Then re-attach the beveled washers.

Notice the pattern here? While a number of superficial changes were made, just about everything on these engines were swappable with a little thought.

Mideerslayer

Seaman Apprentice
Re: power tilt swap out question**New question**

Re: power tilt swap out question**New question**

ok I got the old motor off and the 75hp chrysler mounted.

I know you said all the wires will match up, and i am comfortable with that part.

Here is where i forgot something, the main ground wire from the cranking battery, where does it go on the engine?

I know the power go's to the starter relay, but cant remember where the ground goes.

Thanks

Rich