Impeller Question

Dave Barnett

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have ordered a new impeller for my Chrysler made Sea King. The new impeller is a 6 blade. The old (original impeller is an 8 or 12) The place I am buying the impeller from guarantees it to work as good or better than the original. My question is this: Will the 6 blade pump water as well as the original? Should I expect the engine to run warmer? The engine runs amazingly cool now with the original ( I just want to change it to be safe). Will it hurt, help or be of no consequence if the motor runs warmer? I have never had an outboard that I have been as partial to as this little Sea King and I really want to keep it in tip top shape. Thanks for any advice and info and God Bless. Dave

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Impeller Question

I don't honestly think it will make any difference as long as the impeller has a nice tight seal in the pump housing.

But did you ask why it is different? Has the manufacturer changed? Usually even aftermarket companies make their parts identical to factory original. Are they positive it is the correct part?

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

It never hurts to get a second opinion, do you have another parts supplier you can talk to and see what they recommend?

robert graham

Admiral

Dave, Maybe with only 6 blades, each one would be a bit thicker and last longer. Also, the thermostat would regulate the flow and engine temperature, while the pump just moves the water, so I doubt it'll make any difference in operating temperature. Good Luck!

Dave Barnett

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info fellas.This motor being a Sea King parts dealers are extremely few and far between. I do trust the company I am getting the parts from I just wanted to get a second opinion on here. This forum has some of the most knowledgeable folks there is. Again Thanks. Dave