ANyone towing with an Avalanche or Cadillac EXT?

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer
Well, I had to seel my F-250 Extended cab that had the 7.3L Diesel... hated to do it, but well I need more room for my baby. The seat in the back cause the passenger seat to have to move too far forward for anyone to ride with me comfortably,a nd well the wife needs to go to the lake as well.

Anyway, I have a 23' MB wake boat... dry weight around 4000lbs, 64gal gas tank, gear, and on a tandem boatmate trailer. I figure it all weighs in around 5000-5250lbs going to the lake. Usually about a 30mile round trip, with some hills.

I am considering 4-door trucks and SUVs like the Cadillac EXT, Navigator, Expedition, Tahoe... along thoise lines.

According to Edmonds, with a 6.0L they are showing the EXT at a 5000lb tow capacity and same for the Navigator. Is this really right?

Just wondering if anyone out there is using one of these vehicles and how they do and if 5000lbs is really the limit. I am hoping not to have to get a 3/4 ton truck again to have 4-doors and pull my boat.

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: ANyone towing with an Avalanche or Cadillac EXT?

I had an 03 expedition with the towing package and I think it was rated over 8000lbs.

Maybe those luxury vehicles take a hit for a smother ride. The eddie bower edition was pretty opulent. for me anyway.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Well, I had to seel my F-250 Extended cab that had the 7.3L Diesel... hated to do it, but well I need more room for my baby. The seat in the back cause the passenger seat to have to move too far forward for anyone to ride with me comfortably,a nd well the wife needs to go to the lake as well.

Anyway, I have a 23' MB wake boat... dry weight around 4000lbs, 64gal gas tank, gear, and on a tandem boatmate trailer. I figure it all weighs in around 5000-5250lbs going to the lake. Usually about a 30mile round trip, with some hills.

I am considering 4-door trucks and SUVs like the Cadillac EXT, Navigator, Expedition, Tahoe... along thoise lines.

According to Edmonds, with a 6.0L they are showing the EXT at a 5000lb tow capacity and same for the Navigator. Is this really right?

Just wondering if anyone out there is using one of these vehicles and how they do and if 5000lbs is really the limit. I am hoping not to have to get a 3/4 ton truck again to have 4-doors and pull my boat.

Think you're underestimating the total weight of your rig. Get that right, then look at the specs of what you want to buy.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

I feel pretty confident to be in the 5000 to 6000lb range. I weighed my truck and trailer on our trucking scales at work. I was a hair over 13,000lbs. My truck weighed in over 7000.

So, I would think most half ton chassis would be able to handle my boat. Im not expecting it to stop as well as my F-250 did by any means.

I know my old bronco was rated at 6800lbs... I was just trying to figure out why edmunds put in 5000lbs for every vehicle I was looking at. I would expect to see any of the 1/2ton SUVs or Trucks to be rated aroun 8000lbs.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I feel pretty confident to be in the 5000 to 6000lb range. I weighed my truck and trailer on our trucking scales at work. I was a hair over 13,000lbs. My truck weighed in over 7000.

So, I would think most half ton chassis would be able to handle my boat. Im not expecting it to stop as well as my F-250 did by any means.

I know my old bronco was rated at 6800lbs... I was just trying to figure out why edmunds put in 5000lbs for every vehicle I was looking at. I would expect to see any of the 1/2ton SUVs or Trucks to be rated aroun 8000lbs.

Not just breaking your shoes, but your weight estimate has already gone from 5000-5250, to 5000-6000.

If the boat weighs 4000 dry, add in 250 for a half tank (8 lbs/gal) of fuel and another couple hundred worth of gear that stays on the boat. Trailer? I've been there. Look it up at the manufacturer's website, but I'll bet it's 1200 lbs or more. I see your rig weighing in at 5500-6000 lbs.

Don't use Edmund's for the towing capacity. There are a bunch of trailer towing guides you can Google.

The vehicle limit is the vehicle limit. Do what you want but if you overload, you risk injury (to you or someone else) and lawsuit. I wouldn't bet on my insurance company covering me, either.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

I've got an 03 Avalanche North Face 4wd with the 5.3 that I'm towing 6200 lbs. If I recall right it's rated to 7100 lbs. It's no rocket, certainly won't pull like a diesel up hills, but 90% of the time it's not struggling by any means. Stops just fine, no troubles on the ramp. It runs along at 65mph getting 10mpg. I use an equalizer hitch that helps things also. We really like it for traveling, put a bed in the back for the three dogs, etc. Without the boat, it gets about 21 mpg on the highway running 70 ish.

Last edited:

Philster

Captain

I touched on this subject before.

Many vehicles advertising 8k, 9k, and even 10k tow capacities hit the street with Class III hitches rated at 5k (Tahoes, Silverados, Sierras, Titans, F150s, etc). Edmunds simply reports that limit.

To tow beyond that hitch limit, disclaimers abound about weight distributing hitches being needed to reach full tow capacity.

It was suggested in this forum you go to a hitch shop and get the Class III hitch immediately replaced with an aftermarket Class IV, but get the factory tow package for all the other goodies.

I hate to admit it, but I tow near 6700k lbs. with a Dodge Ram and a Class III hitch. The Ram is rated for more than the hitch.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

Not just breaking your shoes, but your weight estimate has already gone from 5000-5250, to 5000-6000.

If the boat weighs 4000 dry, add in 250 for a half tank (8 lbs/gal) of fuel and another couple hundred worth of gear that stays on the boat. Trailer? I've been there. Look it up at the manufacturer's website, but I'll bet it's 1200 lbs or more. I see your rig weighing in at 5500-6000 lbs.

Don't use Edmund's for the towing capacity. There are a bunch of trailer towing guides you can Google.

The vehicle limit is the vehicle limit. Do what you want but if you overload, you risk injury (to you or someone else) and lawsuit. I wouldn't bet on my insurance company covering me, either.
Yes, I used to own a 3/4 ton truck like you. I know your standpoint and it was mine to. If I didn't give a flip about overloading, I wouldn't have asked the question. Also, my question wasn't how much my rig weighs... I am sure its under 5500lbs, conservative estimate @ 6000 for safety, but how certain vehicles handle it.

My main concern when buying my truck originally was to tow the boat as far and as often as I wanted. Now, I have a child, priorities have changed now my family has to get their safely and comfortably with me.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

I touched on this subject before.

Many vehicles advertising 8k, 9k, and even 10k tow capacities hit the street with Class III hitches rated at 5k (Tahoes, Silverados, Sierras, Titans, F150s, etc). Edmunds simply reports that limit.

To tow beyond that hitch limit, disclaimers abound about weight distributing hitches being needed to reach full tow capacity.

It was suggested in this forum you go to a hitch shop and get the Class III hitch immediately replaced with an aftermarket Class IV, but get the factory tow package for all the other goodies.

I hate to admit it, but I tow near 6700k lbs. with a Dodge Ram and a Class III hitch. The Ram is rated for more than the hitch.

That sounds doable. I can see the reasoning behind upgrading the hitch.

Jakebob

Seaman

I have an Avalanche 1/2 ton that pulls might boat just fine, but the weight of yours really is an issue. FWIW they did make 3/4 ton avalanches. I'm thinking that they all were big block trucks. Should be ok for your rig.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Yes, I used to own a 3/4 ton truck like you. I know your standpoint and it was mine to. If I didn't give a flip about overloading, I wouldn't have asked the question. Also, my question wasn't how much my rig weighs... I am sure its under 5500lbs, conservative estimate @ 6000 for safety, but how certain vehicles handle it.

My main concern when buying my truck originally was to tow the boat as far and as often as I wanted. Now, I have a child, priorities have changed now my family has to get their safely and comfortably with me.

You're the one who said the car you're looking at has a capacity of 5000 lbs, and the rig weighs 5000-5250. That's what I was commenting on.

You shouldn't need a 3/4 ton pickup. You need somnething that'll tow 6000 lbs and have a GCWR somewhere in the range of 11-12000 lbs depending on the weight of the truck. That's the premise, The rest is up to you.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I had an 03 expedition with the towing package and I think it was rated over 8000lbs.
Yeah, I believe 8400. I had the same and towed very similar load as OP. It did a great job!

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class

We have a 2005 Expedition with the 5.4l V-8 and towing package. It is rated to pull 8900# I believe. We pulled our 6500# travel trailer with it through all kinds of terrain with no problem. That was with a weight distributing hitch, but it pulled it fine with no problems. You can easily pull your setup with one provided you set it up correctly. Gas mileage stinks though.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

you could look at the crew cab F150. Supercrew they call it. with the 5.4 in it the tow capacity is nearly 8000lbs.

I would think the Avalanche would be just as good.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, I believe 8400. I had the same and towed very similar load as OP. It did a great job!

8300 to be exact. ;) The 03's where the first year for the independant rear ends. The 5.4L had 260 horse and the 4.6L had 232 horse, both where pigs. I worked at a dealer when these came out... and almost bought one.

05 - 07 Expy's had 300 horse 5.4L's... which helps.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

WOW! What did you do to that thing? Its only rated for 13 City & 17 Highway. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/noframes/19281.shtml

Nothin! Stock everything!
We use Silverado 1500's and 2500's for our work trucks in my co. The 1500s all seem to get at least 19 hwy that we have with the 5.3. The 2500s suck at 12.
I think the bed cover with the Avalanche helps things a little more.

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have an 08 Av with the 6.0L and 4:10 rear end. It tows my 21 foot boat or our 23 foot hybrid travel trailer quite well.