1986, 85 hp, stubborn bolts on fuel pump

pugerz

Seaman
I am wanting to change my fuel pump diaphram that i have in hand. I have two rusty bolts that wont turn and have tried everything except impact wrench. I am looking at buying one to get them off. I think i have the original diaphram on the motor. Other bolts turn no problem. Not sure what to do to get these off. Motor is running great right now, I just thought i would change this out for long term maintenance on motor. Any suggestions?

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1986, 85 hp, stubborn bolts on fuel pump

First I would say that if you have a good 6 point socket so you reduce the chance of stripping the head, you should be able to power that off with long handled power bar.

Soaking with penetrating oil for several hours sometimes helps.

I think an impact wrench would mess up the bolt head and then your in a world of hurt.

Can you send a picture?

pugerz

Seaman

the bolts turn with a regular screwdriver and have no socket wrench shape on outside just a circular shape with a flat screwdriver head. I have sprayed numerous times with penetrating liquid to no avail.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

If you have a screw driver with a square shank that fits the slot in the screw head tightly, no slop, you can take an adjustable wrench and put it on the square shank for extra turning leverage. Make sure you put as much pressure as you can on the screw driver towards the screw other wise it may mess up the slot. Same thing applies if you have a phillips screw.

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

the bolts turn with a regular screwdriver and have no socket wrench shape on outside just a circular shape with a flat screwdriver head.

Oh, when you said impact gun I thought you were hitting a bolt.

I have a thing called an impact screwdriver. You place it in the screw head and hit the end of the screwdriver with a hammer. the internal workings of the screwdriver send the shock into a rotation motion. I've used it many time for stubborn screws. I think it was pretty cheap, around $10 but that was 20 years ago.

pugerz

Seaman

Yea unfortunately someone already messed up the slot for me trying to get it off before, so there is some slop. The motor is running great right now, do you think i should take the effort to get it off to replace the diaphram or just leave it alone? Im thinking the impact screwdriver is the way to go tho with it, if i try to get it off.

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe take a steel bar or rod and a hammer and tap on the top of those screws, sometimes that'll loosen them up. The trick here is to remove those screws without breaking them off. They're probably about #10 screws and it wouldn't take a lot to wring those suckers off and then you've got a "drill it out and re-tap it" situation. Good luck and let us know how you do with this.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

There are six screws on the Fuel pump. 4 of the screws actually not only hold the fuel pump together, they also attach the pump itself to the bypass port cover. If the problem is with one of these screws, then you shouldn't have any problem using an impact screw remover. The remaining two only hold the two halves of the fuel pump together. Probably not a good idea to start whacking on these two because there is a possibility you may actually crack the fuel pump itself. There is no support under the fuel pump where these two screws are located.

If it were my motor, I would change it. If your motor happens to run lean from a bad pump, there is a possibility you can do some damage to the pistons. Plus you'll have piece of mind knowing that it's been changed.

Note: Using heat is probably not a good idea. Heat + gas = BOOM. Also bad for the diaphragm, paint and the check valves in the pump. Each check valve (there are 3) has a disk that may be plastic or similar material.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If worst comes to worst, remove the bypass cover. The gasket will break and you will need to make another but that's small potatoes.

Yes work on it now, even though the engine runs well--it's a b**ch getting stuck out on the water because of normal maintenance items that were not replaced.

If the two that are stuck are at the back of the pump and all else fails, drill off the heads and remove the pump cover. You will then be able to get a Vice Grip on ith remaining stubs.

I swear by my impact screwdriver; if it cant get out a stubborn bolt, then it aint never gunna come out.

pugerz

Seaman

gosh your aggressive with those bolts. It comes with confidence with what your doing. I'm still trying to get there. The bolts are at the back of the motor, i took some pics, Im just going to do it now those bolts are coming off. You can see from the pics the slop i inherited tho. I probably made it a little worse but not alot. Impact screwdriver territory i think, dont you agree. not sure what that floater wire is for?

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

That is the older style pump, thise two screws do not have nuts behind them and sometimes they corrode into the aluminum. It occurred to me: My old stand-by: Grab them with a Vice Grip--really bear down hard and lock them the twist. Once they break free, they will still be tight but you should be able to move them.

There should be just enough wiggle room to put the Vice Grip on them and they are fillister head so the sides are flat, and everyone has a Vice Grip in their tool drawer, don't they?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

There is no support under those two bolts. If you hit them with an impact screw tool, I don't think the pump will like it. You could take the fuel pump completely off for better access to the screws. Put the pump in a bench vise and do like Frank says, vise grip.

pugerz

Seaman

I am still trying to get those bolts off my fuel pump. I was going to use a vise grip on the bolt head and turn the head of bolt but i cant get one on without removing the plate holding the cd bracket. Ok, no biggie. 3 bolts hold that on. So i go to remove the bolts and the rubber shock twists with the bolts on all three bolts. I talked to a mechanic and he said that they should not move and that the bolts are busted. There appears to be some play on the bracket when i grip it. Not alot but some. Any ideas on those bolts? Do you think they are broke? Should i keep turning till they come out or do something different? Im ready to shine the fuel pump diaphram replacement cuz of these bolts. Motor seems to be running great.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Eventually you will have to replace the fuel pump diaphragm. While the motor seems to run fine now, eventually you'll be faced with the problem of a bad diaphragm. Better to take care of it now, rather than be stranded out on the lake.

Sent you a PM.