Which Outboards To Avoid? Boat Shopping Tips?

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am trying to narrow down a list of potential boats. They are all currently rigged with a wide variety of OBs. I come from a long line of I/O's and know absolutely nothing about OBs. Since all of the boats on my list already have engines in them, if it comes down to one boat or the other, the engine will probably be the deciding factor.

All of the OBs in the following list are 2005 or newer models, all are 4 stroke engines, and all have at least 150HP:

Honda
Yamaha
Mercury
Evinrude
Suzuki

I do not have exact model numbers for the engines. So far I have heard to stay away from the Mercury Verados (no reason was given), the Honda OBs (reason given was that they are unreliable), and I was told to stay away from Yamaha (was told that HPDI models are expensive to maintain and complex to troubleshoot if they break). So far haven't heard anything about Suzuki or Evinrude.

I want to narrow down my list or at least be able to sort it by maintenance costs and reliability. I know there are die hard fans of probably every engine on my list, but if anyone has compelling reasons to stay away from one type over the other I'd certainly like to hear it.

Re: Which Outboards To Avoid? Boat Shopping Tips?

I didn't think that BRP (evinrude) was producing large 4 stroke outboards. Thought they were making the E-Tec epa certified 2 strokes. Are you sure they are all 4 stroke?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

That PM comparison is from 2000, so it won't mean much to this question.

From 2005 on I don't think you'll find a bad motor in the bunch, they may be a little better or worse in one area or another, but the differences aren't huge. If you have choice get the motor that appears to be in the best condition with a good dealer near you.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Hey diesel, I think you've been given some bad advice:). I have heard nothing but good reviews on the 2005 and newer 150hp+ outboards from Evinrude, Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda and Merc.

Also the Evinrude will be an ETEC DI 2-stroke motor and if the Yamaha is HPDI it is also a 2-stroke.

If you want low maintenance then chose the Evinrude ETEC. 4-strokes required more service than the DI 2-strokes for about the same performance and fuel economy.

Another thing to keep in mind is which brand has a certified dealer and shop near to you. This will be important for service and parts.

Also not sure your budget but if you're looking 2005 and newer you might want to look at buying brand new so you can get a full warranty.

Cheers~!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

All good motors in your list from what I know.
However the current condition of the motor and it's previous life are the things to look at before purchasing. You should have them checked over before buying.

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the advice. There is a certified Mercruiser, Yamaha, and I think they work on Evinrudes as well right around the corner. Excellent shop, 1st rate service, and will not hesitate to tell you when you don't need something.

They recommend Mercruiser, but I think that's because they are an authorized Mercruiser re-seller, not sure about that though. They did not have anything bad to say about any particular maker though, but when I asked out of all outboards which would they recommend they didn't hesitate to recommend Mercruiser.

I do know Mercruiser and Yamaha seem to be all I see around here. Rarely see Evinrude or Suzuki, although I did meet one guy who swore by Suzuki.

Are maintenance costs about the same between Yamaha and Mercruiser? I wouldn't mind giving the Evinrude a try, but I'm not sure if the mechanic around the corner works on them. Also I thought 2 strokes were higher maintenance than 4 strokes due to turning at higher RPM and burned more gas. Plus they need a custom oil / fuel mixture (like my weed eater).

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Mercruisers are I/O's. Mercury's are outboards.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I think you need to get a better idea of what motors are on the boats you are looking at. Many of the major brands had/have 4-strokes or 2-strokes in the 150hp+ range.

Honda - 4-stroke only
Yamaha - 2-stroke = HPDI or 4-stroke
Mercury - 2-stroke = OptiMax DI or EFI 4-Stroke or Verado 4-Stroke supercharged
Evinrude - 2-stroke = etec DI
Suzuki - 4-Stroke only

The direct injected (DI) 2-strokes typically require fewer scheduled maintenance visits. Yon't have to change the oil or adjust the vales like you do on a 4-stroke. The trade off is that you have to fill a remote oil tank with relatively expensive oil once and a while. The DI motors take care of injecting the oil for you so you don't have to worry about pre-mixing it with the gas.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the advice. There is a certified Mercruiser, Yamaha, and I think they work on Evinrudes as well right around the corner. Excellent shop, 1st rate service, and will not hesitate to tell you when you don't need something.

They recommend Mercruiser, but I think that's because they are an authorized Mercruiser re-seller, not sure about that though. They did not have anything bad to say about any particular maker though, but when I asked out of all outboards which would they recommend they didn't hesitate to recommend Mercruiser.

I do know Mercruiser and Yamaha seem to be all I see around here. Rarely see Evinrude or Suzuki, although I did meet one guy who swore by Suzuki.

Are maintenance costs about the same between Yamaha and Mercruiser? I wouldn't mind giving the Evinrude a try, but I'm not sure if the mechanic around the corner works on them. Also I thought 2 strokes were higher maintenance than 4 strokes due to turning at higher RPM and burned more gas. Plus they need a custom oil / fuel mixture (like my weed eater).

Two strokes are much simpler by design. Also they do not require an oil change. I believe that most of the newer two strokes have a separate oil tank and a separate gas tank. You fill up the oil tank and you fill up the gas tank. The engine mixes the two for you on the spot. The only negative is that two strokes are prohibited in some lakes in California (due to the higher unburned oil emisions). At one time there was a rumor that they were to be prohibited in general. Hope it is only a rumor.

TerryMSU

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

The only negative is that two strokes are prohibited in some lakes in California (due to the higher unburned oil emisions). At one time there was a rumor that they were to be prohibited in general. Hope it is only a rumor.

TerryMSU

That is typically not the case for the current direct injected 2-strokes on the market. Most are CARB rated (2 or 3 stars) and should be legal to use on essentially all lakes.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

good answer, trendsetter, especially as to service nearby.

Diesel, with motors as new as your list, I think most of the opinions about difference in quality or performance will be the old Ford v. Chevy debate. Looks for facts to compare

mrfishin65

Recruit

avoid all o/b and go i/b has anybody taken the o/b power head out and replaced it with a i/b engine in a 97 capri bowrider? i am going to try if any input ty

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you have the dreaded Force L-drive. Correct?