Water pump impeller

Ktankker

Cadet
Im a newby to boating and i just bought a 1976 16 foot wilker galaxie with a 65hp mercury outboard. The boat has sat for 2 years and i think i just need to change the water pump impeller and the plugs and new gas. im not sure how to change the water impeller. please help. And if you know of anything else that i should do before i try to fire it up that would be very helpfull. thanks in advance. really excited about our familys new toy for the water.

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: Water pump impeller

Congrats on the new purchase. I've got a 1971 Wilker Galaxie 16ft with a Merc 800 (80hp). A super boat for the great lakes and Simcoe where I boat.

Good reading in the posted link above. Aside from the things you mentioned, drain and refill the lube in the lower unit. Watch for water in the oil when you drain it.

Pull the cowling off the motor and thoroughly inspect the wiring. Mercs of that vintage (post you S/N to determine model year) are known to have the insulation become brittle and crumble off the wire.

Squeeze the primer bulb in the fuel line. If its hard and not pliable it needs to be replaced. Mix the fuel at 50:1 gas to oil ratio.

Remove the battery cables from the battery AND the motor and clean them well. Reconnect (be sure NOT to reverse polarity or you will destroy the ignition system) and tighten the cables securely.

To change the water pump impeller you need to remove the lower unit from the motor. Relatively easy task for the typical do-it-your-selfer. Do a search in this forum and spend some time reading to get a feel for the procedure. A service manual is a highly recommended purchase. The big names are Seloc, Clymers and the best is the Merc factory manual.

One final thing to mention. DO NOT run the motor dry, even for a few seconds. Either run it in a barrel or connect a set of water muffs to a garden hose.

Ktankker

Cadet

thank you guys so much for your imput. Do you think i should clean the carbs as well or do you think i can get away with it for now. looking forward to fishing simcoe for some perch in late april

crem1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Definitely take the carbs off and soak them in solvent, be sure to take idle adjustment screw out and the computer of the carburator(bowl)
The Americans almost beat us:)

Moody Blue

Captain

I wouldn't bother with the carbs just yet if your objective is just to see if it will run. Its a real PITA to pull those carbs.

One of the first things to do is a compression test to get an overall indication of the motors condition. A compression test will tell you whether or not to spend any more money on it or not.

Good luck.

Ktankker

Cadet

i did a compression test befor i bought it. and they were 120 all 3 cylinders were the same.

bryanwess2000

Petty Officer 1st Class

After you get it running but before you take it out on the water I'd definately
clean or rebuild the carbs, set timing, and decab it. Be careful on the carb
cleaner/dip you buy, most of the stuff is "epa compliant". If it says not for
sale in CA it's probably ok. I looked at several stores for 2 days before I could
find some that contained methylene chloride( the old stuff ). I bought a case.
Good luck getting her running!

Ktankker

Cadet

im going to post some numbers here and i want to know if anybody can tell me the year of my motor from these numbers. now i dont know where to find the modle number so here are a few i found.
mercury 650 HA 2014-14
1440 3255 those 2 numbers were found on the transum bracket attached to the motor. The next number was found on the carb plate on the front of the motor
if these are not the numbers i need then please tell me where to find the model number.

Moody Blue

Captain

None of those numbers are the ones you are looking for.

THere should be (was?) and aluminum name plate mounted on the face of the tilt tube. It is attached with two rivets. The number will be something like 2881234. No letters or spaces in the sequence.

Another place you could look is on the motor block itself. Some models had a "medalion" pressed into the block with the s/n stamped on it. Its about the size of a quarter.

What color accents are on the motor/cowling? That is another clue than can narrow down the year.

Ktankker

Cadet

Ok sorry about those numbers. The merc 650 has a blue strip around the motor cover. and the serial number is 7003848. It also came with a 10hp evenrude kicker and im looking for info on that as well. the serial number on that is 00228 50760 sport twin. If you have info on that like what type of plugs to run and any other information on that motor would be great.

Moody Blue

Captain

There is a bit of a mismatch in the color scheme and the S/N.

The S/N indicates a 1972 model made in Canada, but the blue stripe indicates a '73 or later model year. Either way, its a '72 or '73 model year.