Trying to remove gimbal ring... Type 1

Jasonscott

Cadet
Trying to get the gimbal ring off my gimbal housing. Its a type 1 housing and its off the boat. I removed the lower pin and also removed the steering arm nut and bolt. I also removed the allen screw in the bottom of the upper swivel shaft, but i can not get the allen bolt that goes through the top of the gimbal ring out (I think it keeps the swivel shaft from turning??) Anyways its stripped out, but im wondering if maybe the swivel shaft can still be removed with this in maybe? Any tips for getting it out? Can this be drilled out? Thanks for any help!

gimbal090.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trying to remove gimbal ring... Type 1

If there was a allen in the bottom , it`s there to protect the threads, you use a slap puller threaded into the hole to remove the upper pin. There is no other allen screw, there are 2 pinch bolts .Might try posting a pic with www.photobucket.com. it`s free

Jasonscott

Cadet

Also the manual keeps telling me there should be a nut above the steering arm, and i sure cant see one, im thinkin this is maybe for later models. Im assuming the allen bolt in the bottom of the swivel shaft is what holds it tight??
gimbal091.jpg

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Also the manual keeps telling me there should be a nut above the steering arm, and i sure cant see one, im thinkin this is maybe for later models. Im assuming the allen bolt in the bottom of the swivel shaft is what holds it tight??

It is right there above the arm, isn't it? The bolt holds the pin in place. Take a look at this http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...&bnbr=40&bdesc=GIMBAL+RING+AND+STEERING+LEVER When I removed my upper swivel pin, I removed the nut, screwed a long bolt (7/16, 14, or if too small 1/4 pipe thread) into the bottom to the pin, clamped on a old pair of vice grips onto it and tapped it downward with a hammer. Check this out for the puller, and how to do it. http://www.mercstuff.com/gimbalringparts.htm

Jasonscott

Cadet

It is right there above the arm, isn't it? The bolt holds the pin in place. Take a look at this http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...&bnbr=40&bdesc=GIMBAL+RING+AND+STEERING+LEVER When I removed my upper swivel pin, I removed the nut, screwed a long bolt (7/16, 14, or if too small 1/4 pipe thread) into the bottom to the pin, clamped on a old pair of vice grips onto it and tapped it downward with a hammer. Check this out for the puller, and how to do it. http://www.mercstuff.com/gimbalringparts.htm

Nope, there is no nut above the steering arm. the bottom of the swivel shaft has slots cut in each side of it and it seems the allen bolt going in the bottom wedges the swivel shaft against the housing as its tightened. Have the ones youv worked with had the slots cut in the bottom of the swivel shaft?

swivelshaft001.jpg

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well...your doing better than i am so far....i busted my gimble housing, getting that pivot pin at the very bottom pressed out, after spending the bettter part of a day trying to get the cotter pin out of it first

Jasonscott

Cadet

well...your doing better than i am so far....i busted my gimble housing, getting that pivot pin at the very bottom pressed out, after spending the bettter part of a day trying to get the cotter pin out of it first

Sorry to hear it, I was also amazed at how good that cotter pin was in there!

Jasonscott

Cadet

yeah, appears that the gimbal ring was actually pressed after the swivel shaft was installed to aid in holding the shaft in. I just want to reuse this gimbal ring on a different housing so i dont want to screw it up.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

This ones real old school, looks pre-70 if i'm seeing that the trim stop switch is in the gimbal ring.

You need to get that top bolt out, it holds the steering pin in place. After you get it out you can drop the pin. Try taking the next size up hex bit, wethers it's standard or metric, and hammer it into your stripped out one. After that try using a hand impact driver on the socketbit. You may have to use some heat there on top of that gimbal ring to get it out.

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

my 73 has the trim switch at the top instead of the sides

JustJason

Vice Admiral

I don't remember the exact cutoff year of the switch location, but just the same this is an older drive.

23x8io

Cadet

Does any-one have a fix for the tilt limit switch or one that works to sell? Goes in the top of the gimbal ring of the out-drive. Mine has died of old age. It is for a 1968 Type 1 Mercruiser I/O

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Does any-one have a fix for the tilt limit switch or one that works to sell? Goes in the top of the gimbal ring of the out-drive. Mine has died of old age. It is for a 1968 Type 1 Mercruiser I/O

Please don't try and resurrect an old thread to post your issue. Copy and paste your post into a brand new thread and you will get tons of help!
Also...can't buy or sell anything on these forums... just sayin'
Thanks!
KTB