tilt '87 225

bignefan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I got this boat 6 month ago, let sit till I saved some money. The trim tilt didn't work the motor is new but nothing.research showed the manuel valve was open.I closed it put fluid in it,bled it,nothing but the humm of the motor.I took it off put it on my bench drained it refilled and bingo life, some what. fluid everwhere. got the o ring kit replace most of them. Put it back on Engine bled and bled no leaks.The problem is the trim part works up and down, the tilt works down but not up, if I assist it it will go the the last lit bit by itself. I've bled and bled (20 times)and still the same, like a dead spot on the up tilt, just as the tilt kicks in.I used ATF fluid becase that is what was in it. is that the problem?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: tilt '87 225

lift lock in up postion, fill, replace cap, unlock run down then back up. repeat, it still has air in it, and not full of fluid. use Dextron 2 ATF or power steering fluid.

bignefan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: tilt '87 225

ok I'll keep triing ?I used all purpose Atf fluid should I drain and change if so is there one that is better than the other