1973 55hp impeller question

kjburr

Cadet
Hi. I wanted to do an impeller change because I just got the motor and dont know when it was last serviced. Also there is like a pee hole near the top of the back of the motor. Actually I am not sure if it is a pee hole but I do thing water has came out of it a few times. Should there be a steady stream of water coming out of this hole. I noticed there is like maybe an exhaust port at the very bottom of the lower unit. Not sure what it is though. I found the impeller part #18-3084, but cant seem to find a kit? I am guessing there isnt one for this particular motor? Also should I change the lower unit gaskets while I am at it?

Thanks in advance!

Kenny

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 55hp impeller question

Hi. I wanted to do an impeller change because I just got the motor and dont know when it was last serviced. Also there is like a pee hole near the top of the back of the motor. Actually I am not sure if it is a pee hole but I do thing water has came out of it a few times. Should there be a steady stream of water coming out of this hole. I noticed there is like maybe an exhaust port at the very bottom of the lower unit. Not sure what it is though. I found the impeller part #18-3084, but cant seem to find a kit? I am guessing there isnt one for this particular motor? Also should I change the lower unit gaskets while I am at it?

Thanks in advance!

Kenny

There shouldn't be pee hole unless someone put it in later.You can get a wp kit at the local Mercury dealer.Check the condition of the wp housing,you might not need one.Drain the oil and don't worry about gasket unless there is water in the oil.That is an exhaust port.J

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

There shouldn't be pee hole unless someone put it in later.You can get a wp kit at the local Mercury dealer.Check the condition of the wp housing,you might not need one.Drain the oil and don't worry about gasket unless there is water in the oil.That is an exhaust port.J

kjburr

Cadet

Do you know if muffs work on these old chrysler motors?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

It depends on the lower unit.Post a pic of the back and side. Some can use it but it might need a modified one that looks like it was cut down from a regular muff.J

kjburr

Cadet

heres some pics. right now im replacing the seals for the lower unit as is was leaking oil around them. i actually had to order a whole kit. so i will probably have to drop the whole lowr unit. but while i have it off is it easy to tell if the water impeller is in good shape, or can you not go by that? also there is a screw in between the drain screws do you know what this screw is, as i actually unscrewed it a little by accident. thanks

http://img89.imageshack.us/i/lowerunit3.jpg/
http://img443.imageshack.us/i/lowerunit2.jpg/
http://img242.imageshack.us/i/lowerunit.jpg/

huskerdaninva

Petty Officer 1st Class

DO NOT remove that "little" screw or even mess with it. It is the shift linkage retainer pin. If you do remove that screw you WILL be taking apart your LU as that is the ONLY way to get everything lined back up correctly so the "little" screw can be re-installed. If you are taking your LU apart anyway to install a seal kit it may not be that big of a deal, but again I promise you if you remove the "little" screw you and the LU will become fast friends! Ask me how I know...:eek:

Dan

kjburr

Cadet

what if i just backed it out a little and quickly tightened it back up?

kjburr

Cadet

From the pictures, would it be ok to use muffs?

huskerdaninva

Petty Officer 1st Class

what if i just backed it out a little and quickly tightened it back up?

Well if you just loosened the screw just a little bit and then re-tightened it you should be OK. Check and see if the prop spins freely while you shift the LU into either Forward or Reverse. (with the engine NOT running. I know, I know, but I've seen stranger things!) If it does spin freely (like it should in neutral) while shifted into gear you and the little screw will need to become intricately acquainted with the shift yoke and the shift linkage. It's not really all that bad if you like turning wrenches and are mechanically inclined with a good manual...just labor intensive. (But a good excuse to pop for the extra coinage and buy a seal kit and real good OJT for Chrysler outboards!)
Dan

wickware

Lieutenant

I have used my homemade muffs on my lower unit like yours on my 1970 Chrysler 35 HP (disregard the 55 HP cover). It worked but I like the barrel better. In my opinion, ?it?s a little emulating of a load? toward testing a slight burst of speed. It?s not enough but I feel better than just muffs. A true test of burst of speed is on the water. Next, is backed into the water w/o leaving the trailer is better than the barrel at the least before a long trip. If time and help w/n allow a quick run while the trailer waits on the ramp. Last, in the lake, in drum or with muffs, I look for some cooling water almost instantly with my 35HP. Too quick! It makes the motor harder to warm up in cool weather. As if there is not a working thermostat but it flows better when it worms up. I feel this is due to a by-pass I read about in a post vs finding info in Clymer.

JOW

Attachments

• Boat's Motor above Idling 9-25-08 with Cooling Water R.jpg
    Boat's Motor above Idling 9-25-08 with Cooling Water R.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Chrysler 1970, 35 HP, Marked Vent & Oil Drain Plugs & Non Marked Screw.JPG
    Chrysler 1970, 35 HP, Marked Vent & Oil Drain Plugs & Non Marked Screw.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1970 Chrysler 35HP 2010 Check-up (5).JPG
    1970 Chrysler 35HP 2010 Check-up (5).JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 0

kjburr

Cadet

Does anyone know if this motor has a whole impeller kit? Because all I can seem to find it just an impeller? Is that all there is for the motor?

kjburr

Cadet

Shouldnt they have an impeller kit for every motor? Maybe they just dont have one on iboats for this particular motor?