Bellows Replacement

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Is there a recommended replacement interval for sterndrive bellows? My boat does not leak and from the little I can see the bellows are in ok condition. I had them replaced about 3 seasons ago. I just want to avoid any issues that can be prevented. Also, how difficult are they to change (if I need to)? I do most of my own work but never done this job before. Thanks.

1988 Mercury Alpha 1(r)

RepoMan207

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Bellows Replacement

Transom service is recommended every 2 years in fresh water, regardless of usage.

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is there a recommended replacement interval for sterndrive bellows? My boat does not leak and from the little I can see the bellows are in ok condition. I had them replaced about 3 seasons ago. I just want to avoid any issues that can be prevented. Also, how difficult are they to change (if I need to)? I do most of my own work but never done this job before. Thanks.

1988 Mercury Alpha 1(r)

First time replacing it you might swear at it a few times. If you are talking the exhaust bellows you'll need a tool to install. Absolutely impossible to install without it unless you are a magician. Replace when signs of wear or cracks. I've seen them last for many years and some a couple years. Also check the cable boot on a regular basis. A customer of mine sunk his boat with this boot ripped.
I will also add that he became a customer after he sunk the boat. :D

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Mercruiser says every 5 years for the bellows...unless you have an issue.

If this were mine, I would just keep an eye on them and pull the drive for water intrusion inspection at the end of the season.

Happy boating!

RepoMan207

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your right, 5 in Fresh and 3 in salt water right.?.?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

5 years, even in salt water, If you are using OEM bellows.
Most aftemarket bellows will last 2-3 years.
Mallory, 1 week if you are real lucky.

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

5 years, even in salt water, If you are using OEM bellows.
Most aftemarket bellows will last 2-3 years.
Mallory, 1 week if you are real lucky.

Thanks for that Don. It's something I should know. Mallory is really that bad? My wholesaler started bringing in Mallory products and haven't used any of those products. Mostly OEM and Sierra.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I just gave you my opinion from using them on customers boats.
I no longer use anything but OEM for bellows, shift cables, gaskets, and any other rubber parts.

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys. I'll be pulling the drive off to check the alignment in a few weeks so I'll get a better scope on their condition then. If I was waaaay out of the service peirod I was gonna order replacement bellows in advance.

P.S. I actually have the special bellows installer tool...... just dont hacve the clue how to use it, lol.

skargo

Banned

You can go with an exhaust tube instead of the exhaust bellows and no tool needed.