I Drive max power

blanche

Cadet
Hey folks I have some questions re pre alpha drives:
What is the short version of beefing up these drives,for 300+ hp eg replace bottom half with Alpha lower ? my understanding is the alpha doesnt bolt up to the bell housing for pre alpha units.
Anyone running high power small blocks on these drives?
Rebuilding 5.7 in 79 Searay SRV 195
20 over bore
882 heads ( would like to upgrade to Sr torquer )
stock cam ( would like to upgrade to Lunati hyd level 2 )
This recipe would make gobs of torque and 300 plus hp but the next weakest link will likely show its ugly head
Whats involved to upgrade to alpha unit? just a bellhousing change? or more

Any advice?

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: I Drive max power

Alpha's are only good for 300hp too. You would need a Bravo setup. Probably EXPENSIVE to do.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

All MC-1 , R and MR drives made from 1967 to the Alpha 1 (Generation I) made in 1991 are interchangeable. You can mix and match any combination of bellhousing, top box and lower.... What you can't mix up is the Alpha 1 Gen II.

The Alpha drives (even the Gen II) are designed for up to 300hp, no more. Merc did run a 454 in front of them, but not for very long!

Chris.......

blanche

Cadet

k so what about bravo install, would the transom cutout need to change?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The transom cutout is the same for Merc Alpha and Bravo, includes the OMC Cobra series and the Volvo SX/DPS drives.

blanche

Cadet

Thanks Don.
I guess i'll stick with the factory heads and cam for now but I ecpect to be able to go with more prop...max rpm for engine is only 4600 with hyd flat tappet. Current prop is 19p hi5 and it got up in 2 seconds last year
and it was breathing water in #5 cyl. Go figure I didnt have the speedo or tach working. If its all good this year, then we'll see...should have engine back together next weekend. Then some fresh carpet and we're off. so far im lovinit! the ice MIGHT go out of the lakes here by mid May if were lucky.

Bronc Rider

Petty Officer 1st Class

You mention it was taking water in one cylinder. Have you checked out the risers and exhaust manifolds? It could cost you another engine if does are past their service life.
On your cam selection, I'm not sure if what you listed is a marine application. If its not a marine unit it can cause the engine to become hydrolocked due to reversion.

blanche

Cadet

manifolds and risers were checked w press test. Found big crack in 882 head and a wrinkled head gasket there as well. those heads are thin caastings and prone to cracking. Prev owner may have froze.
It should run great...
Lunati lists theyre cams as 4x4 / marine apps. Concerning reversion, I read an article that seemed to say it was all about harmonics and vibration and not so much cam overlap. I tend to agree as when the engine is running the exhaust outlet pressure will always be there to keep water from reversing inward but Im no expert, your thoughts?

Rick

180shabah

Rear Admiral

300hp from a 350, isn't all that hard. Good heads, intake and a 4bbl, no need to get wild with the cam selection.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

I have put over 450 HP from the 385 stroker we built through an Alpha GenII for about 2 years and no problems.
Here is how we do it:
1. Drive shower
2. Run thru hull exhaust to help keep drive temps down
3. Use Mobil 1 Synthetic drive lube, change every 15 hours or less
4. No full throttle hammer down starts
5. No wave jumping
6. Idle RPM correctly adjusted to avoid chipping a tooth when shifting
7. Shifting quickly

Never any chips on magnetic drain plug, not really any fuzz to speak of.

Lots of benefits to running an Alpha....less HP to spin, less HP to push through water for a few.

So, Alpha's will easily take big HP, you just have to know how to do it and use some sense.

zbnutcase

Commander

As bomar76 has proved, it can be done; it's like babying a weak axle in a high powered car, WHAT FUN IS THAT??? 'nutcase